Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shame on me......Just purchased a new 2017 Trax & just realized No Temperature Gauge???? - Too late now....Has anyone installed an aftermarket one???

·
Registered
772 Posts
The easiest way is to get an inline hose adapter, it allows you to tap into a hose rather than having to find a threaded hole in the head.

You can buy one that taps into in a heater, or radiator hose, you cut the hose slide the adapter in then clamp it, then run your sensor in.

Then you have the choice of gauge you want to use, as far as mounting it in the car that is up to the individual, best thing I see now is mounting it on the A pillar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Water-Temp-Temperature-Gauge-Radiator-Hose-sensor-ADAPTER-BLUE-30mm-1-25/201161704816?hash=item2ed62c0570:g:IsAAAOSwRLZUBQ6L&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-2inch-Single-holes-Gauge-A-Pillar-Meter-Dash-Pod-Mount-Holder-Black-ABS-/252669740083

https://www.ebay.com/p/Car-Motor-Hotsystem-Black-2-52mm-Blue-Digital-LED-Fahrenheit-Water-Temp-Gauge/2019564913?iid=162243547072
This heat gauge is really nice at a low price
Of course you need to make sure the sizes are correct these are just examples

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the helpful info..If possible I'd like to avoid cutting the radiator hose & draining the system but the inline adapter sure looks fine...Was wondering there must be a sensor that works the idiot light...I'm guessing it has one....I was so pleased with the dash & cluster the 17 has over the 16 & prior that I totally overlooked the temp gauge... Senior moment.... The "A" pillar mount was my thought as well.....

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
What is a gauge going to give you that the DIC isn't going to warn you about? If any of the 3 speeds of cooling fans fail you will get a warning way before Temperatures reach critical point. I really think either you're old school or picking at straws. If GM decided the temperature gauge, volt meter and oil pressure were over the top I believe they were. The ECM checks these 300 times per second, how many times would you look at your temperature gauge? It's not a DuraMax hauling 7000 pounds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you got a point on "Old Skool"... What your talking about, we called them idiot lights....and in my day when that red light came on, you were already in trouble.....I've had a lot of cars in my day & still have a few, of which they all have a cluster of gauges.... I kinda figured if this Trax had two different speedometer selections, maybe one could have been sacrificed for an oil & temp gauge.... but that's my thinking......

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have an OBDII bluetooth dongle plugged into the Trax to check turbo boost and coolant temp. It connects to an android phone sitting in the top center compartment. Max temp on a road test was 217°F.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
Gotta love Torque Pro!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Making some headway on the topic....Looks like the technology advanced, but the desire to know the engine performance is still the same.... Just the difference between SW (stewart warner) gauges mounted below on a dash, & a connection through a smart phone to an OBD11 port....
Another question, does anyone know if the timing belt runs dry or in oil?....

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
Unless the newer ones are different it's a chain.

This means it is a good thing to keep the oil level topped-up so the chain doesn't starve.

Chain; GM Part No.: 55562234

Torque Pro

Reactions: $03Marauderman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I read in this forum somewhere that it had a belt...I seriously doubt when an engine graduates from a belt to a chain that is goes back to a belt....Thanks for the diagram and your reply.....

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
But here's the twist the 1.8l has a timing belt, although I have never seen a 1.8l Trax.

GM Part No.: 24422964 timing belt drive.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
The Cruze for sure but it is listed in the Trax Engine list for 2013. Don't know if they ever sold any. Also listed for 2013 is a CVT transmission and again don't know if GM ever sold any in North America.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This whole variance thing has to be expensive....just seems so complicated. Some parts of the world have different drive trains.... Down under, Australia the Trax is marketed as a Holden - RHD.... My Trax is Korean built with Korean parts, another Trax I was looking at the same dealer was Mexican made with Mexican parts....Is labor that cheap 3/4 of the way around the world, then ship the car to North America??? - What I found most amazing was the car did not have one scratch or any signs of even the most minor damage...You have to figure how many people drove it to move it....I would say regardless of what its called the Trax is a world car....

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
Didn't know any of the Trax sold in North America weren't made in Mexico. Are you saying your Trax's VIN starts with a K?
Not sure where you got that Trax part were made in Mexico, I know they are assembled in Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
DaeWoo designed and manufacture all parts for the Trax as far as I know with research. But the internet isn't always right. DaeWoo was bought by GM years ago and their Lecetti became the now famous Cruze. The Trax is just an AWD derivative of the Lecetti sold as the Opel Mocca in Europe. When ever I order parts for my Trax it always says OEM GM Made in Korea or China on the bag. Never have I seen made in Mexico.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG - Most all the new Trax I saw at the Chevy dealers were made in Mexico... with either the engine or transmission made in Mexico as well.... I'm not sure about small parts, I was referring to major components.....Mine is Korea all the way...My vin starts with a "K"
ugg...DaeWoo...how does Chevy end up with all the looser companies..I had a Tracker which is a Suzuki, and Suzuki pulled out of the US so replacement dealer parts were non existent ....only availability was used or A/M....Hoping this isn't the future with the Trax....

·
Registered
772 Posts
I heard some wired stories about Dawoo they had some terrible engineering, my nephew bought one for his daughter the car was noting but trouble from day one.

They had to dump it, the kids first car turned out to be a dud.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gotta tell you I've always had my suspicions about Chevrolet's bed fellows...Hope I didn't jump into a Trax too soon...The last generation Trailblazer....with its Isuzu engine and who knows what else, 5 cylinder Colorado what was that about.........I think the only happy marriage was with Toyota/Prism....Not that Chevrolet engineering is doesn't leave a bit to be desired...but I'd like to think something good is coming out of the Tonawanda (Buffalo NY) engine plant since the sixties....I guess the real question is how real Chevrolet is the Trax???

·
Registered
772 Posts
Been watching You Tube I'm interested in what is happening to the 1.4T, Gm uses it in many cars.

Trax uses this engine, Cruze I think has been around since 13 or so, I would imagine there are more of those out on the roads given they were a lower priced car.

Many video's showing problems with turbo's, I think they are due to poor oiling and over heating them, it is a very tiny unit, and the fact that the cars are cheap they attract many younger newer to car guys.

My guess oil is going to be critical to these fast spinning small turbo's, I'm using what I think are the best oils, I like Mobil-1 and Pennzoil.

I am going to change it by color, not by mileage or what the car tells me, when the oil gets dark, its out of there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts