Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the fall of 2017 I bought an AWD Trax LS, at that time GM was desperate to sell inventory. I bought it for 17k out the door.....inclusive of rebates, with a $2000. trade of an 03 Tracker...with the reality of really wanting a RAV 4 or CRV....It was a $$$ decision & figured being brand new, I'd have a jump on the game...I now have 15k miles on it, as its a secondary vehicle....During these years I go on youtube & view all the Trax shortcomings & failures inorder to prevent disaster....I learned that these cars require a lot of preventive maintenance....as in hope to prevent the turbo from failing, to much required fluid changes in the drivetrain....There was even a youtube on replacing the timing chain @ 100k miles. Today I removed the heatshield on the exhaust manifold to reduce the heat on the turbo oil cooler line, as this $25. line tends to plug up from cooked oil & starve the turbo to failure....Its recommended this line be changed every 30k miles. The Transmission fluid should be changed every 45k miles & the rear axle around 60k miles....I think with preventative maintenance the Trax should stand up pretty good, & the quirks & fluid changes should eliminate costly early failures......

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,747 Posts
WoW, don't believe everything you read and see on YouTube. If your Trax is newer than 2015 it has the revised turbo oil feed tube and if you use full synthetic it won't coke. In 2015 they were using a blend. As for removing the shield it's okay but fan blows air around whether it's on or not. Mine's been on with 100000 miles turbo still works fine. This week it put out 13.6 PSI at one point.

Green Black Font Technology Screenshot

Reactions: The_Mechanic

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One in my small fleet is a 98 Civic that I owned for 18 years with 212k miles.....Two timing belts, plugs, wires, oil changes, brakes, tires, is about it..... I'm thinking a 98 Civic was around when the Cavalier was, how many of those have you seen lately? or the Cobalt? There are still those vintage Corolla's Camry's, Accords on the road.....My point to all of this is I'm not here to bash GM, Ford, or anyone else, but to keep up with the japs, you need to be more attentive to maintenance with a Trax & I really like the Trax.....I find YouTubes informative like changing a water pump on a Trax....not such a fun job, neither is changing the radiator, which is rather simple on most cars... YouTubes are informative, & I admit some are corny but you just have to weed through them ..So its all good....I learned that you need to be more maintenance conscience & just thought to share it.......

·
Super Moderator
335 Posts
I'm going to change my brakes sometime the next week, they're still the OEM from the factory with 51,550 on the odometer. This has been the lowest maintenance vehicle I've ever owned, i just try to stay up on fluid maintenance and it's pretty much been good to go.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,747 Posts
Mine has 151000 kms. Turbo works fine. My friend has a Cruze with original turbo ( same engine ) 350,000 kms and never used full synthetic. An other guy I know has one on taxi with almost 600,000 kms with original turbo. Just don't bring it to the stealer, they always say it's the turbo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've worked for a Chevrolet "stealer" for 20 years, I've replaced 1 turbo my entire career there, I've worked on, diagnosed and repaired 100s of LUV engines. What ever dealer you're going to is full of amateurs.

·
Administrator
2,747 Posts
You are probably right. This stealer that my daughter deals with, because her Encore still has warranty, they've replaced the turbo twice under warranty and I knew it wasn't the turbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts