Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I recently purchased a 2017 Chev Trax LT.

Iv'e had it for a month now exactly - car was brand new off the lot when purchased.

I recently noticed, when going over bigger bumps, divots and train tracks there is a thudding/thumping noise which comes from what sounds like the rear passenger side. I can't tell if its the tire or perhaps all the spare equipment rattling around in the trunk (i.e., jack, spare tire, etc).

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Cheers,
J

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Did you check the spare tire hold-down to see if it was screwed snug?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the spare tire hold-down to see if it was screwed snug?
Yes, I did lift the lid in the trunk and everything seems to be secure. My rear tire looks fine as well, not flat or scuffed anywhere. I've booked an appointment with the service department to see if its anything of concern.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes take it in, its best to see if something might have been left loose, or perhaps the exhaust pipes need adjustment and are hitting components.

The exhaust is on the left, it is the most likely culprit in noises like these .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I would update this thread in case anyone was interested.

Just got home from the dealer, the noise was the result of an "awkwardly placed" spring during manufacturing. It was located in the rear passenger wheel area.

They readjusted its placement, put everything back together and the noise is gone! :)

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Thanks for posting the solution.

Had that happen on the wife's G6 too. They just spun the spring and cushion 180° and noise was gone.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had an annoying noise in my Buick but it wasn't as bad as you describe, it was just that panel on the side wall near the rear hatch.

A few well place felt dots (got them at Lowes) insulated one panel from the other.

Great little product they can be found in most of my cars keeping my interior quiet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update - Noise is back

Hi again,

Update - I took my car in on the 20th, they drove it out back, heard the thumping noise from the rear passenger side as I had described.

They took a look and said they didn't see anything so took that rear wheel area apart and said some things were awkwardly positioned and they re-positioned them, put everything back together. On my drive home, the noise had gone and I was thrilled.

However, I didn't drive my car Thursday but did drive it Friday. About 25 minutes one way and 25 minutes back. I thought I heard the noise two times and turned off my radio, I drove with it off over several bumps and heard nothing so i assumed i was just imagining it.

Now come Saturday, the 23rd, I took my car out again and this time i definitely heard the noise though much quieter than when i had originally taken it in. I chalked it up to the cold and haven't had the need to drive my car since.

Come today, the 27th. I had to run some errands...the noise is definitely back and VERY loud like when i first took it in. Every little bump sounds like im going over a massive pot hole.

I have made another appointment to take it in next Tuesday for them too look at it again and do an oil change. We'll see what they say this time...

I'm really upset...this is the first new car i've ever bought...a month in and this is what i get :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts