Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my 2020 Trax took a trip to Mexico and while there I decided to see what the governor cut off for top speed is. I’ve had other Chevys in the past that cut out at 97 mph or as high as 105 mph. When my Trax hit 112 I let off and never hit the governor cut off, not because I was scared, I ran out of space and had to slow down. Has anyone found the top speed cut off or will the Trax actually do the 140 mph on the speedo ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gear Ratios Calculator, MPH, Top Speed
I looked up the VIN for my '15 and found the following
1st Gear - 4.58:1
2nd Gear - 2.96:1
3rd Gear - 1.91:1
4th Gear - 1.45:1
5th Gear - 1.00:1
6th Gear - 0.75:1
Final Drive - 3.53:1

I haven't been able to find redline for engine RPM. I used the calculator and entered 5000 for engine redline. This is page listed 147.76MPH in 6th at 5000 RPM. I'm not interested in testing this. Additionally, this is a mathematical calculation. I doubt this page takes any additional variables in to account: resistance, tread/rubber compound, rev/speed limiters, police speed traps, and so on.

I realize you have a '20 and this isn't exactly the answer you asked. Hopefully it gives you some type of an idea. At least you know it hits 112

·
Registered
Trax 2019 LT AWD
1 Posts
Me and my 2020 Trax took a trip to Mexico and while there I decided to see what the governor cut off for top speed is. I’ve had other Chevys in the past that cut out at 97 mph or as high as 105 mph. When my Trax hit 112 I let off and never hit the governor cut off, not because I was scared, I ran out of space and had to slow down. Has anyone found the top speed cut off or will the Trax actually do the 140 mph on the speedo ?
Hope it's ok if I add my "few cents" to the topic. This is my first post on the Forum I am a happy owner of a 2019 LT AWD Trax and I am located near southwest Mpls, Mn (Edina).

I ran across information from Car & Driver (LUV Engine) 2017 Trax (should be the same engine as 2020 Trax) and the top speed is listed as 115 miles/hour, another location I read 116 with a note it was information from Chevy (186 km/h (116 mph) (manufacturer)).

Another location lists is as theor. vmax = 185 km/h (116 miles/hour) (factor claim) https://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Now I always drive as safe as possible I think of basic physics that the kinetic energy of a car is related to the speed of the car squared so even if the ratio of say 100 miles/hour to 25 miles/hour is 4 (100/25 = 4) the kinetic energy of the car is going to be 16 times higher! (4*4=16) and kinetic energy is the energy that's absorbed in a crash along with reaction time issues at high speeds. So no I will not be attempting to verify this speed. Please be careful! sorry for the lecture.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts