Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I just filled up my 2014 Trax with gasoline at the gas station and I wondered if I can continue to pump gas into the tank once the pump shuts off the flow? Can you continue to top it up? I sometimes want to get the $$$ to a complete dollar amount. (I know ... this maybe dumb, but I like to keep my bills at an even number.)

Will the gas pour out if I continue to pump even when the shut off has occurred? Just wondering .......

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
If it's a few pennies more there's no problem especially when temperatures are bellow 55°F. There's always a danger in overfilling because you could end up dumping gas in the Evap canister and ruining it. Then you'd get a whole bunch of check engine codes and a visit to a mechanic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve found that the pumps tend to shut off quite early and that the tank will hold a bit more, perhaps as much as an additional half gallon. You do need to be careful with this in order to avoid overflow. After each fill up, I check to see what range is indicated on the dashboard display. On my 2015, if I’ve really filled up, the range should read something close to 400 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
That would be okay in winter when the gas you put in contracts and there's no danger of the gasoline to overflow into the vent tube or if you're immediately leaving on a long trip at highway speed, but if you fill up with 14 gallons and it's 90°F outside and you drive 1 mile home and let your car sit you will end up with .37 gallons more in the tank.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It used to take a while to fill it up past clicking off but if you pull the gas nozzle out and go slowly you can get a few more gallons in.

I could drive my Trax and Buick at least 100 miles before it comes off the full mark.

Filling my Miata to the top gets me 200 miles before the gauge moves.

I never had a car yet that had a problem filling it to the top, filling it to the top lets you know exactly how much gas you have in the car for checking your gas mileage filling it until it clicks off is random.

Every gas pump handle nozzle is different some kick off early some kick off really late, filling it to where you can see it lets you know where you are.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used to "top up gas" on the Trax in the beginning, I believe this was back in 2015, but then someone mentioned what "Traxy" said up further regarding the 'Evap canister' thing, and right after that I just filled up till the pump clicked, just in case there is such a danger.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
I'm on Cobalt forums since 2010 and I've seen what overfilling can do to the evap canister.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh my, I'll try my best to not ever have to find out. I'd really hate myself if I ever destroyed my Trax. I'm trying to remember how many months I actually did this for, so I can start looking for signs of internal damage, I haven't noticed anything yet. Would you know what this would look like?

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
You will get a check engine light with a code or codes for EVAP inefficiencies or Evap malfunction. Sometimes charcoal will escape the canister and plug the vent tube to the point it takes forever to fill the tank. I'm not saying to stop completely when it kicks, you can still probably round off to the next dollar just don't try to put in an extra gallon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to everyone who replied to my question! Much appreciated! I will likely now just top up to when the gas pump shuts off and not to try to fill the extra gas. It seems it might be taking a risk ... and with my new Trax ... why bother? So thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice! Keep posting ... we all learn somethinghere! :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
I will continue to top off my cars by the time I get home I burned enough gas to make a gap to protect the evap.

You don't fill it until the gas is running on the ground, but you do fill it until the gas in the neck go's down slowly.
It is almost impossible to fill a new car all the way to running out the neck.

That is unless you have loads of time on your hands, plus you want to make a pest out of yourself at the service station standing at the fuel island for a 1/2 hour.

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
I generally round it up to the nearest dime and that's it. My older vehicles could get to the nearest dollar without a problem, my old Cadillac would hold close to half a gallon in the filler neck alone. I kinda miss filling that monster up behind the license plate, made the body lines so much cleaner than having a cutout for a gas door.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
If you're going to fill it up on a hot day don't put in anymore when it clicks unless you are going for a long drive. If you are just going home that cold gasoline will expand quite a bit and may fill the charcoal canister. When it clicks quit is my moto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts