Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Trax new from 2016 and have performed tire rotations with every oil change. With todays maintenance I was told that I shouldn't rotate my tires because the TPMS system wouldn't know where each tire was and would give me wrong readings. I never though about that and have done multiple front/rear and X rotations . After searching on You Tube you need to re-set your tire positions to the new TPMS locations. And if they are not set you will get a warning lite and a screen saying to do a re-set. After consulting my owners manual it says you need a separate device that re-sets the tire sensor and signals the cars computer. Thing is, I have never performed a re-set and I've never had any warning lights or screens show up. The Q is, should I do a re-set ? Should I even worry about it seeing it doesn't seem to cause a problem ? It now has over 60,000 US miles. The system gives me tire pressure readings to my smartphone without any warnings. If it says I have a low tire, I always check all of them. Your Thoughts ...... and GO ____

·
Registered
127 Posts
The service shop should be able to perform this reset. I rotate mine every oil change as well and they do it. I'm pretty sure it's a quick and simple process for a reputable shop

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
I don’t think it’s supposed to trigger a warning light. But the DIC image just won’t show the proper location. No big deal if you check them all when one or more indicates as low.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Don't need a scanner tool to program TPMS a simple $10 EL50448 works fine after you select tire relearn. It takes 2 minutes.
C$ 9.49 12%OFF | EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Activation Tool EL 50448 OEC-T5 For GM Vehicle Monitor Sensor EL50448

I did this for Encore forum but since the procedure is slightly different I will redo a Pictorial specific to the Trax...This is for my 2016, newer models may be different.

1. Insert key in ignition and turn to ignition without starting the engine.

2. Press the menu button with Trax in Park.

This message will appear in DIC.

3. Press and hold the set button until horn beeps! You are now in programming mode.

4. Bring down driver's window before exiting the vehicle because if you accidentally close the door while in programming mode, doors will lock with keys in ignition for some reason. GM must have had a corny reason for this. Or and IT guy is laughing somewhere.

5. The front left marker lights will be on indicating which wheel TPMS to program first.

6. Bring programming tool close to valve stem like so. Horn will beep once, indicating TPMS has accepted the sensor signal.

7. It will turn "OFF" left front markers and turn on right front. Do this till all four have beeped. After the last one beeps the system will beep twice and fall out of programming mode. You're done. It took a lot more time to write this than it takes for the procedure. 2-3 minutes max.

Bring window up and remove key.

Reactions: HED

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, I use one of those National Oil Change stores and had never had the topic of not rotating tires before. LOL because I know thats ... You know what I'm thinking. I know I had read in the manual about tire rotation and knew it was recommended. I almost laughed in the fellas face. I'm of the age and was taught to check tires and what a low tire looks like. If my system reports a low tire I check them all. Its just good practice to do so. Traxy, thanks for the info on the tool. I will check on getting one. Thanks all for your comments ... I miss the days of the Chevette .... simple and easy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't need a scanner tool to program TPMS a simple $10 EL50448 works fine after you select tire relearn. It takes 2 minutes.
C$ 9.49 12%OFF | EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Activation Tool EL 50448 OEC-T5 For GM Vehicle Monitor Sensor EL50448
Will this tool work for programming new sensors? Or just resetting the location of the old sensors

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
New or old

1 - 7 of 7 Posts