Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if any of you have ever looked into these tools. I have ordered a set of Sonic wheels and snow tires for my new Trax and plan on buying the GM Sensors (13598772) if the wheels, (Take-offs), don't come with sensors. Dealer says new sensors will have to be programmed to car. There are many tools available to relearn/program, (separate functions), the sensors. Prices run from under $100 to over $1000. Is anyone familiar with these tools and their function? I would rather not have to go to the dealer twice a year to reprogram my car.
Howard

·
Registered
772 Posts
All you need to buy is the sensors that are for your car, the numbers work on many cars not just Trax, the tools can be found all over the net they sell for as little as $50

GM TPMS learn procedure: http://www.diagnosticnews.com/gm-tpms-setup-relearn-procedures/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13598772-Tire-Pressure-Sensors-TPMS-315-MHz-Set-of-4-15-16-Cruze-Equinox-Terrain-/231798739125?fits=Year%3A2016%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATrax&hash=item35f84810b5:g:hvwAAOSwNyFWhEEu&vxp=mtr

A set of GM Sensors for the TRAX, note how many cars they interchange with. the GM part number for your car is: 13598772

When you buy sensors its always good to check them, I have bought dead ones that were promptly returned for full credit.

The tool I have is called the TIPS tool it works on just about everything.

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks beeguz, I had the sensors from ebay in my save file. I'm just waiting to see if the wheels come with sensors. Can the TIPS tool check to see if the sensors are any good? I have my own tire changer and balancer but have no way to check the sensor function.
TIPS seems to be a generic term. Have you found a brand that you're happy with?
Howard

·
Registered
772 Posts
The tool name I have is TIPS # TIPS003B, but there are a whole lot of makers. its a foot long and bright green.
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatoolwarehouse/KTI-TIPS003B.html

I remember tire rack had a tool after I bought mine for around 50 dollars, the one I bought was 100 bucks when I got it, I didn't realize they went up that much.

This tool works on all sensors all frequencies, I use it to check the sensors when I get them in the mail.

I suppose by now there are other models and new sensors, but I never had a car yet that this one didn't work on, I have it a very long time.

On the older cars you could put the car in the lean mode, then get the computer to see the sensors using a big magnet, one end of the my TIPS is a magnet.
or you could let air out of the tire then the computer in the car would recognize the sensor.

On the older chevy's between 2008-12 you could use the air method but I'm not sure you can on the newer cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
I use the EL-50448 tool, works great

Don't know why you'd want to pay more.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EL-50448-Auto-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-EL50448-TPMS-Activation-Tool-for-GM-Cars-/112591064340?hash=item1a36f34d14:g:dk8AAOSwa3ZZoYhS

To test your TPMS when you get them just turn key to on and select tire Relearn in menu and press set until you hear 2 beeps. Then point the tool at first one and press the ''WHITE'' button the horn will beep if successful, repeat for next 3. of course you'll have to reprogram the ones on the Trax afterward but no biggy now that you have the tool.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Anyone have heard of a bulletin for the TPMS module losing it's sensor programming? Mine will pop up once in a while for no apparent reason. Did it with the original OEM sensors and now doing it with the 4 new sensors on the winter wheels. I thought I may have had a bad sensor so I put the winter wheels on thinking this would prove my theory, to no avail still popping that icon in the DIC once in a while. Trying to figure out if a sequence sets it off but so far it seems pretty random.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The only thing I had with the Trax and the Buick were low tire warnings.

Both on the stock tires I lost air pressure when the weather cooled, being that I run my tires just above the PSI that causes a warning, I sort of expected it.

I did get another on the Buick a few months ago when I picked up a sheet metal screw in one of my tires, plugged it with the home kit I have.

If you carry one of those kits in your car, take a look at the plug strips, mine melted together from the summer heat, I was keeping them in the glove box.
It took a little time to find one that was still usable.

I would suggest moving them to the spare tire well it might not get as hot as the dash area.

I use a tool called the TIPS tool

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Ended being one of my new winter tpms that's faulty. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. I'll get a new one and confirm this whole fiasco. At least the Encore tells me which one is bad...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Buy new TPMS by using the part number, instead of by the car and year for ordering.

I find you get lower prices on TPMS if you buy them that way.

I think that retailers want premium prices for newer cars, last set I bought I paid 47.00 for a set of 4, I got them on ebay from a GM dealer.

I think the dealer had overstocked the sensors and was bailing them out.

Always scan them when you first get them a few times I got dead sensors, but got my money back or new sensors because I got right back to them early.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Yeah, they are going to send me a replacement. This morning I programmed it fine but it failed again a couple hours later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts