Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used car got 80,000 miles. tranny shop said don't change tranny fluid it's too dirty-could cause damage (Slipping) by adding fresh clean slippery oil.

Next on my list is changing the transfer case fluid and differential fluid, anybody have any warnings about this? can I cause damage by changing the fluid like with what can happen to a transmission?

· Registered
179 Posts
Yes, you can change fluid without any issues. Thats a myth. People are having problems with their transmission. Its actually on its way out. They change fluid and it finally goes out and someone tells them, the fluid change did it, when it was going out any way. Changing fluid in a normal operating transmission is a good thing to do.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can change fluid without any issues. Thats a myth. People are having problems with their transmission. Its actually on its way out. They change fluid and it finally goes out and someone tells them, the fluid change did it, when it was going out any way. Changing fluid in a normal operating transmission is a good thing to do.
yea I just changed the fluid at 79000 miles, did a few uber runs, it's operating as normal. quick question, with the fluid check level bolt behind the driver side tire do you wait until the fluid trickles out or mostly stops to confirm its full and not low or overfilled?

· Registered
179 Posts
Its full when it starts to run out the hole on level ground running in park. Its been a while since I changed the fluid in one of these but I kinda remember the engine needs to be running when checked.

· Registered
2016 Trax. Full ZZP build.
112 Posts
I am a GM technician. I change the transmission fluid in the Trax and other 6t40/45's (same trans different vehicle) almost everyday in customers vehicles. Never had an issue. As soon and I bought mine I changed all fluids (trans, transfer case and rear diff)

· Registered
22 Encore AWD, 13 Trax LT FWD
4 Posts
Does anyone have the GM part numbers for the transfer case and rear differential fluids? Or the specs? I’ve searched and it seems the rear diff is a 75W90 GL5 oil…. But is the transfer case the same? (Reason I ask is I do both in my kids Escape and the transfer case (PTU) is 75W140, rear diff is 75W90). Funny there is not much info out there for the Trax/Encore but lots of talk about the same for the Escape.
I have a 22 Encore AWD…

· Registered
2016 Trax. Full ZZP build.
112 Posts
Transfer Case Oil​
Lubricant​
19256085 / 19351883​
Rear Axle Lubricant​
DEXRON® MTF 75W-90​
88863090​

This is what SI (GM's service information) gives me for a 2022 Encore. Part numbers are canadian.

Does anyone have the GM part numbers for the transfer case and rear differential fluids? Or the specs? I’ve searched and it seems the rear diff is a 75W90 GL5 oil…. But is the transfer case the same? (Reason I ask is I do both in my kids Escape and the transfer case (PTU) is 75W140, rear diff is 75W90). Funny there is not much info out there for the Trax/Encore but lots of talk about the same for the Escape.
I have a 22 Encore AWD…

· Registered
22 Encore AWD, 13 Trax LT FWD
4 Posts
Thanks Trax123321….. looks like the rear diff I could use a GL5 75W90 gear oil with or without LS? On Amsoil site it shows SevereGear as an equivalent. So probably could use M1 Synthetic LS 75W90…

The transfer case fluid I can’t find any equivalent so better to use the OEM, even though it’s stupid expensive for gear oil… especially in Canada!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts