Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some of you may be interested to hear and see this.

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Trax LT with 13,000 km on it. I took it in for an oil change the other day and they had a great deal on a transmission fluid flush posted on the door. I asked them should I get it done and they said it's not necessary but I thought I would go ahead anyway as I over maintain my car. I took a picture of it as they use a machine that has the new fluid on the top and the old on the bottom and it's clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Transmission fluid change is not due until 72,000km. You would be way too early at your low miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yupp. I would say change your transmission fluid every 6 to 8 years. No need to touch that area. Over maintenance can cause problem too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you had a tough winter season the transmission fluid takes a beating, so changing it before the recommended time is not a bad idea.

Yes they recommend changing it at 72, but if you throw a few bad winters and got stuck a few times into the mix, changing it isn't a bad idea.

On 4wd vehicles changing the fluid every 2 years or 30K will help your transmission last the life of your vehicle.

The trax has a fill hole just under the radiator hose on the right side of the vehicle, I do believe I saw a drain plug when I was under the vehicle.

You can make a dip stick out of a screw driver and a few scribe lines once you determine the full level.

I have never seen an automatic transmission that didn't benefit from fluid changes, a few quarts of transmission fluid still costs much less than a transmission.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ya but look at the difference in colour ! I mean generally the fluid remains "red" and you may smell a difference between old worn fluid. Why is the replaced so dark already ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ya but look at the difference in colour ! I mean generally the fluid remains "red" and you may smell a difference between old worn fluid. Why is the replaced so dark already ?
the colour of oil has no indication on it's condition, viscosity, and ability to perform. in fact, a dark coloured oil would indicate the detergents are doing their job within the fluid.

the only true way to know is to have the oil or fluid tested at a lab.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Richbloom,

Might be a good idea to ask your dealer to take a good look at the fluid on your next oil change too. Ask them, why the fluid was / is so dark; is this normal at 13000 kms ? I generally changed fluid myself at 100K kms and have never had dark fluids like that. The only issues were cleaning the metal filings debris off the magnet inside the pan. I'm in no position to argue the statement of chief ten bears. But my guess is, if any of us had a choice between two cars with the same age fluids. One having dark brown coloured and the other fluid still red in coloured fluid; which would you pick ? Without any outside impurities entering, what is affecting the fluid in 12 months time ? Get it on record (warranty) in case there is a powertrain issue down the road. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Absolutely agree with 'beeguz'! Also, if pulling a small trailer (<2000 lbs) or traveling through the mountains, GM makes an auxiliary transmission cooler...pricey, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! More reasonable aux tranny coolers are also available from many parts stores that bolt on with easy plumbing connections. This will absolutely extend the life of your transmission. Remember, your Trax is NOT a truck; it has very definite weight/load restrictions (class 1...AKA 1 1/4" receiver hitch) and trailer-ing capabilities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts