Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Chevy trax that I purchased new in September of 2020. I didn’t even have it 6 months and it was in the shop for transmission issues. When I go from reverse to drive, it’s studders than takes off and the whole car feel like it’s struggling to take off. They claimed it wasn’t doing anything so I picked it up, I dropped it off April 19 and when I dropped it off I told them the rpms get stuck in high gears when I’m driving down the highway. They told me today when I picked up my trax that it’s fine but there is a feature that when your setting at a red light in drive, that that transmission will put itself into neutral to conserve gas. Which makes no sense to me. I’ve been trying to find this online about my car but can’t find anything bout it. And I’m trying to find people who have had similari things happening to them. They pretty much gave it back to me and told me, good luck with your car. Any helps or links would be helpful?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi - I purchased a 2020 Trax new last August. The manual says that in the early miles, the transmission "learns" about the way the driver drives and then uses that memory for up and downshifting, at least from my understanding. That is what I found to be true as well. After the first thousand miles or so, the transmission settled down and the shifting improved. I have never had, nor heard of the transmission going to neutral. You might want to contact Chevy and file a claim so they can contact the dealer and investigate your problem and their claim. The number is in your MyChevrolet app. Hope this helps - Bill

·
Super Moderator
323 Posts
Never had that issue in my 2019, only the occasional hiccup when it couldn't decide whether to down shift or not when highway speeds are behind maintained up hill. I think it was due to the fact that I don't do much highway driving, but i did notice the issue stopped before my first maintenance.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
75 Posts
Sounds like the same issue GM was/is having with their Colorado truck line. The shuddering transmission issue was resolved with a flush and a different fluid formula. The dealer’s excuse is nonsense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I purchased a 2020 Trax new last August. The manual says that in the early miles, the transmission "learns" about the way the driver drives and then uses that memory for up and downshifting, at least from my understanding. That is what I found to be true as well. After the first thousand miles or so, the transmission settled down and the shifting improved. I have never had, nor heard of the transmission going to neutral. You might want to contact Chevy and file a claim so they can contact the dealer and investigate your problem and their claim. The number is in your MyChevrolet app. Hope this helps - Bill
Ok, that must be what is going on with mine. I felt like something was wrong with this thing, but now that I know that I feel better. It just seems as if the shifting is clunky and at times lags, but I suppose it must be "thinking" about the way I drive. Appreciate the information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2020 Chevy trax that I purchased new in September of 2020. I didn’t even have it 6 months and it was in the shop for transmission issues. When I go from reverse to drive, it’s studders than takes off and the whole car feel like it’s struggling to take off. They claimed it wasn’t doing anything so I picked it up, I dropped it off April 19 and when I dropped it off I told them the rpms get stuck in high gears when I’m driving down the highway. They told me today when I picked up my trax that it’s fine but there is a feature that when your setting at a red light in drive, that that transmission will put itself into neutral to conserve gas. Which makes no sense to me. I’ve been trying to find this online about my car but can’t find anything bout it. And I’m trying to find people who have had similari things happening to them. They pretty much gave it back to me and told me, good luck with your car. Any helps or links would be helpful?
I owned a 2017 trax Lt and noticed when stopped that when I let off the brakes I would feel a slight bump like the transmission re engaging. It kind of bothered me but thought it was just a feature of the trans. I traded that 2017 trax in on a brand new 2020 trax and the 2020 does the same thing. Still not happy with it but still think it’s a feature of the trans to disengage when stopped and re engage when you let off the brake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I owned a 2017 trax Lt and noticed when stopped that when I let off the brakes I would feel a slight bump like the transmission re engaging. It kind of bothered me but thought it was just a feature of the trans. I traded that 2017 trax in on a brand new 2020 trax and the 2020 does the same thing. Still not happy with it but still think it’s a feature of the trans to disengage when stopped and re engage when you let off the brake.
Hi - That doesn't sound right. You would figure that every car new salesperson would mention that "the car goes into neutral to save gas" as a selling point. I never heard that with my 2020 Trax, never read that in the manual, nor did I ever experience it. I hope this helps. Contact Chevrolet or call another dealer!

·
Super Moderator
323 Posts
Personally I think it's the vacuum pressure returning to the engine when the "Hill Assist" doesn't engage, i never notice it on hills, just flat-ish land in my 2019.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes!!!! My 2020 trax does this and only o seem to notice it, my passengers don’t lol. It feels like the car hic-ups almost when I put the car into drive from park, like if I’m sitting in a drive thru, or when stopped at a red light and I start moving again. It doesn’t do it every time, but it does it enough for me to have noticed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought a 2021 3 or 4 months ago. We notice the same shifting into neutral at red lights. It sounds reasonable for this to happen in the interest of fuel economy. However, the Trax tends to roll backward, when I take my feet off the brake to accelerate. I feel like the car could definitely roll into the car behind us, given the right situation. I'm taking her for her initial oil change/inspection on Tuesda(6/1).

Edit 1: It's not a 2020, as previously stated. She's a 2021.

Edit 2: We've had her for about 3 or 4 months, not 5 or 6 as earlier alleged.

Edit 3: Taking her for her initial oil change/inspection on Tuesday(6/1). I'll talk to the service manager about it then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We bought a 2020 5 months ago. We notice the same shifting into neutral at red lights. It sounds reasonable for this to happen in the interest of fuel economy. However, the Trax tends to roll backward, when I take my feet off the brake to accelerate. I feel like the car could definitely roll into the car behind us, given the right situation. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.
Let us know what the dealer says. I have to make an appointment to get in to see anyone here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I still say this is not by design. My dealership never heard of this. My 2020 does not do it. It would be dangerious any way. If you let off the brake on a hill you would roll back. The trans is a GT 40 gen 3. This trans is also used in the Chevy Equinox as well. No where in the specs does it say this can happen, In the Trans or the car.There is something going on that is a defect in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still say this is not by design. My dealership never heard of this. My 2020 does not do it. It would be dangerious any way. If you let off the brake on a hill you would roll back. The trans is a GT 40 gen 3. This trans is also used in the Chevy Equinox as well. No where in the specs does it say this can happen, In the Trans or the car.There is something going on that is a defect in my opinion.
Let us know what the dealer says. I have to make an appointment to get in to see anyone here.
They couldn't recreate the issue on a test drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the same response when I took my 2017 to the dealer. I am going in for my first oil change soon and I have to make an appointment for that I will try to get an answer about what’s happening then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We bought a 2021 3 or 4 months ago. We notice the same shifting into neutral at red lights. It sounds reasonable for this to happen in the interest of fuel economy. However, the Trax tends to roll backward, when I take my feet off the brake to accelerate. I feel like the car could definitely roll into the car behind us, given the right situation. I'm taking her for her initial oil change/inspection on Tuesda(6/1).

Edit 3: Taking her for her initial oil change/inspection on Tuesday(6/1). I'll talk to the service manager about it then.
It should have hill stop assist?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have noticed this recently in my 2017 Trax LT. When I would let off the brake to drive on a leveled street I would occasionally roll back and on slight hills. When this first happened because I am a new driver i hurried and tap the gas because i didn't know if I was gonna keep rolling.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I will have to pay attention to see if our Trax does this. We just picked up a new '21 last week, this is out 3rd Trax since '15. I may not have noticed since most of my life has been driving a manual trans that will roll back on a hill so I am just used to it and my foot just knows to not dilly dally getting from the brake to the gas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts