Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Not Anymore - The Dealer Fixed

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I had a post a few weeks ago that my 2020 Trax AWD with 6,000 miles slowly drifts to the right at highway speed. I asked the dealer to investigate at the first service that I went in at just over 5k miles. The dealer rotated the tires and told me the alignment was off, causing the drift. I reluctantly agreed for them to do the alignment at half price, but because only the toe setting was off on one side by 2 degrees over max, I didn't see how that would affect it. It did not make any difference.
My Trax has been at the dealer now for 3 days and after swapping tires side to side, the problem is still there. I got a call this evening that Chevy's problem solvers at headquarters determined that with the electric power steering, in order to work normally, the wheel must feel some resistance, otherwise it will drift. They say nothing is working improperly.
To get a sense of this, on a section of basically flat highway, at 65 mph, with the road slightly tilted left for drainage, the car will slowly climb to the right and will cross into the right lane, if you set the wheel straight and let go.
I do not know if I want a new car that I will always have to hold pressure one way on the wheel when on the highway. The dealer says they will provide me documentation that Chevy told them not to go further and that this is the way the car is designed. I asked why the salespeople don't tell each potential customer that this will be normal if they purchase.
If this is normal, why did it take them 3 days for Chevy to come up with this response?
Has anyone else experienced this with your Trax? Have you tried letting go of the wheel (when safe to do so of course) at highway speed on flat ground to see what happens? It is not an issue at lower speeds.
Lastly, I realize that it is normal to drive with your hands on the wheel - but I have never owned a car you have to hold against one way to keep straight unless the alignment was out (I have the readings before and after and the caster is good, as is camber for wear).
I have a Chevy corporate case number about this. Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated!
TY Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Road always has a slope towards the shoulder so rain will run off. Normally alignement takes this into consideration. But I think it always pulls to the right a little bit, but GM were smart enough to put a steering wheel so it isn't very difficult to keep going straight and to turn when I need to.

Reactions: apache snow

·
Registered
38 Posts
I turned loose of my steering wheel going 55 today. Car tracked fairly straight. No pull either way. My daughter had a cobalt with electric power steering. It did not pull either. Dealers will tell you any thing to get rid of you. In a Ford lawsuit documents were found where Ford sent emails to the dealers and told them what lies to tell the customers. LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for your replies. I know about the road pitch for drainage. Actually, in areas that the road pitches slightly left, my Trax will still climb to the right. The annoying thing is to have to hold pressure to keep the wheel to the left when it wants to go right, like a car out of alignment. They say I shouldn't let go of the wheel. Of course, but I should be able to simply hold the wheel, not hold the wheel back. I plan to pursue this more with Chevrolet, not the dealer. Please let me know any other thoughts or experiences!
TY Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank You for your replies. I know about the road pitch for drainage. Actually, in areas that the road pitches slightly left, my Trax will still climb to the right. The annoying thing is to have to hold pressure to keep the wheel to the left when it wants to go right, like a car out of alignment. They say I shouldn't let go of the wheel. Of course, but I should be able to simply hold the wheel, not hold the wheel back. I plan to pursue this more with Chevrolet, not the dealer. Please let me know any other thoughts or experiences!
TY Bill
I’m glad it’s not just me, just recently bought a 2020 Chevy Trax LT in may and when I drive on the highway it feels like my car is being pulled to one side. The first time this happened to me it scared the **** out of me I thought my car was about to flip over and the explanation that the dealership gave you I’m not buying it and I think there is something seriously wrong with these cars doing that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TY Bill
It feels like I’m fighting with my steering wheel, the car wants to go one way and I have to fight with the steering wheel to pull the car in the other direction and like you said this only happens on the highway going 65 miles and over as long as I’m on a residential street my car drive straight no pulling whatsoever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a call with a Chevy Customer Satisfaction person scheduled for Monday. I will keep everyone posted on how this proceeds!
TY Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply. The steering system is warrantied for 3 years or 36,000 miles, so Chevrolet Customer Satisfaction suggested I either take a service tech on the highway to witness what I feel or simply wait and see if it gets worse while under warranty. I will continue to drive for now and see how I feel about this over the next year. Not sure if it is a deal-breaker as I really love my Trax. I'll keep everyone posted. TY Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts