Chevy Trax Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well i should have tried harder to get away from turbocharged engines but i got an Equinox AWD which i hope i made the right choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1.8 engine Trax that has a K&N drop in filter, no resonator, and will go 0 to 60 in under 9 seconds after spinning tires on dry pavement. I promise you that the next generation of Trax (it's and cousins) will have a different engine...probably not a turbo. I have a friend here who has a 2017 Trax with the US turbo 1.4 and my car is faster and gets better mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody have troubles with thier turbo charger? Well I think that is what's eating my oil that the dealership says I am imagining things it still full of oil I am so frustrated I wish I could pay it off and take it to the junkyard and have it crushed. I think I would have so much joy from it. Maybe I need to go to another dealership.
Had problems with mine. They replaced it. It suck up 2 liter of oil in 30 minutes of driving
Luckily it was still on warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody have troubles with thier turbo charger? Well I think that is what's eating my oil that the dealership says I am imagining things it still full of oil I am so frustrated I wish I could pay it off and take it to the junkyard and have it crushed. I think I would have so much joy from it. Maybe I need to go to another dealership.
I'm planning on taking my issue up with the Department of Motor Vehicles seeing if I can get a recall on Trax models that have Turbos because I'm so over it with the run around .This morning the cabin in my car was filled with white exhaust fumes.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Good luck there, GM is about to go bankrupt. What can you get from a church rat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Usually when there is smoke and oil problems it is a bad PCV system in the valve cover and or the intake. Easy fixes.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
The hoses used for the PCV system are too small and freeze up. Bad design, works good in a lab but not in the real world.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Turbo oil feed......There's a steel line with a flimsy heat shield, that is located under the exhaust manifold....This line is a 'Maintenance Item'.... The oil gets cooked from the exhaust manifold and slowly restricts the oil flow to the Turbo....For the cost about $23.00 (aftermarket) & the ease of replacement, I am changing mine at the 25-30 k interval....Been contemplating removing that tin shield that's on top of the exhaust manifold, & even wrapping the section of the manifold above the line with manifold heat tape.... Oil to the turbo is so critical & the major contributor to its failure....Not sure if my removing the heat shield or wrapping the manifold will have an adverse affect on computer......

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats why I use Red Line 5 W 30 high performance synthetic Ester base oil. It's not going to coke or break down under high heat conditions.
The NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % is 6. Thats way lower than Dexos spec calls for. I think its around 13.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Turbo oil feed......There's a steel line with a flimsy heat shield, that is located under the exhaust manifold....This line is a 'Maintenance Item'.... The oil gets cooked from the exhaust manifold and slowly restricts the oil flow to the Turbo....For the cost about $23.00 (aftermarket) & the ease of replacement, I am changing mine at the 25-30 k interval....Been contemplating removing that tin shield that's on top of the exhaust manifold, & even wrapping the section of the manifold above the line with manifold heat tape.... Oil to the turbo is so critical & the major contributor to its failure....Not sure if my removing the heat shield or wrapping the manifold will have an adverse affect on computer......
2016 and up had a revised oil feed tube that corrected this problem provided you used full synthetic oil. Removing the shield will not affect your ECM. The shield is there to protect you from burns and serves no other purpose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have any idea of what the revision is?.... Removing the heatshield is probably a good idea, as it would allow the manifold heat to dissipate...besides I'm the only one who goes under the hood....On second thought, I'm going to wrap that tube entirely & layered, with the exhaust manifold tape...& still remove it at intervals to check for flow...I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles for many years & have had no complaints....Works for me !!!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts