Chevy Trax Forum banner

Trax turbo problems

70K views 58 replies 15 participants last post by  Traxy 
#1 ·
Anybody have troubles with thier turbo charger? Well I think that is what's eating my oil that the dealership says I am imagining things it still full of oil I am so frustrated I wish I could pay it off and take it to the junkyard and have it crushed. I think I would have so much joy from it. Maybe I need to go to another dealership.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I really don't know I just think I am getting some bull from dealership I checked the oil level 4 times in 2 different locations but that is not the current issue it doesn't rev beyond 3,000 rpms I am so tired of the issues I am not sure just seem 1+1=3 it idles great and it doesn't smoke as I see it sits. Just seems like after I drive it smells of burnt oil and I had thought of oil ingestion of the turbo now it may have stopped working.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
It won't rev passed 3000 in park or neutral if that's when your checking it. Just get the torque pro lite app from google store and a 10$ bluetooth OBDII port adaptor and check boost yourself . It's cheap, simple to use and gives you peace of mind. Hand you can use it on any vehicle, so can help family and friends too. I couldn't live without it.

#6 ·
Good idea Traxy never thought of that i have a good code reader with live data need to take pics and that will have plenty of ammo. Nice idea Thanks Traxy. Yes i hope the warranty covers it though it should have never happened to begin with.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes i did something stupid that actually paid off so was to buy the extended warranty but this is going to test it. The factory warranty bumper to bumper gone. I love driving it but this testing i can't trust it anymore all the miles i put on it i thought were reliable enjoyable miles sadly.....Poooooffffff reality kicks in.Just missed the factory powertrain warranty by 7,000 miles.

#9 ·
You should have positive boost under load. Make sure you are reading PSI and not HG. My highest under load going up a steep hill in 6th was +9.1 PSI at idle vacuum should read around -9 PSI. I know there's a GM Tech on here and he should know what is really normal and what the waste gate is set at. The numbers I gave you are mine and not sure they are the norm.

#10 ·
It just stays in the -.07 then up 0 and the engine is bogged down like it's gasping for air which i have a sneaking idea it is conclusion my opinion bad turbo let them find it ans hope the catalytic converter is not clogged with oil and the engine was not damaged to badly with the low oil level. I am just a fountain of certainty that this will be the last one for me. Going else where for another car might even think about those hyundai's or the toyota's i have been hearing about lol no foreign cars for me hahaha......

#11 ·
Sounds more like a bad intake leak if you also have no vacuum. But a cracked turbo and no boost would definitely give you a check engine light and codes.

#12 ·
Yeah it's strange i know that we'll see what the "certified technicians at Jeff Wyler says" tomorrow. No codes but i did see several times oil burning but only under load idling none. Just stupid that the car i miss which would be 13 yrs. old and had a 6 cylinder engine that moved i got 250,000 out of it sad i can't even get 100,000 out of this one before doink.....a 2016.Wish me luck i think this is gonna kill my wallet or kill me with all the OT to pay for it.

#14 · (Edited)
At least you weren't imagining things and at least they found it over there at Wyler. Some GM Techs are just better than others. Why would you buy an extended warranty if you can't use it. If they refuse just take them to court for repairs and lawyer fees and court cost and your lost wages and travel cost. They'll man up.

Turbo failures are not uncommon and according to car and driver about 5% fail before 100000 miles, this may seem high but keep in mind that not everybody does regular oil changes and not everybody uses synthetic oil. 2016 and newer are less prone to failure because they have revised the oil feed tube to a newer version that doesn't coke the oil and keeps feed line clean. Also in 2018 GM went with full synthetic on all their turbo engines.

By the way a new turbo for these is only about $380USd.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GT1446V-Che...007cc2bc:g:~oQAAOSw4NZbd9DV:rk:2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

#57 ·
At least you weren't imagining things and at least they found it over there at Wyler. Some GM Techs are just better than others. Why would you buy an extended warranty if you can't use it. If they refuse just take them to court for repairs and lawyer fees and court cost and your lost wages and travel cost. They'll man up.

Turbo failures are not uncommon and according to car and driver about 5% fail before 100000 miles, this may seem high but keep in mind that not everybody does regular oil changes and not everybody uses synthetic oil. 2016 and newer are less prone to failure because they have revised the oil feed tube to a newer version that doesn't coke the oil and keeps feed line clean. Also in 2018 GM went with full synthetic on all their turbo engines.

By the way a new turbo for these is only about $380USd.

GT1446V Chevrolet Cruze Sonic Trax 1 4 Turbo ECOTEC A14NET 140HP turbo charger for sale | eBay
Is that an OEM part is just around $380.

#15 ·
Yes i use full synthetic since the first oil change just hope with "oil gate" lol that's what i call it with leaking at the oil change place and dealership. They loaned me a 2019 trax and i must say i like it a lot they might have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands lol. Feeling relieved because the trax is my main car for driving the truck "cabin cruiser" as i call it lol has a nasty habit of draining the fuel tank to fast lol.

#16 ·
Well it has been almost a week and the dealership has informed me that the GM warehouse doesn't have the turbocharger in stock wow really.....i wonder why.I wrote GM a terse email lol nobody will read it but i feel better now that i have.I wished i had cussed up a storm but i figured if i did that i would call them to do that.

#17 · (Edited)
While your driving the loaner you're not putting miles on yours. I hope they're not looking for the discontinued number, it has been replaced by a revised number. The turbo from the 2018-19 actually with a fix for the usual failure which was cracking of the cast iron casting at a weak spot causing oil to be blown out the exhaust.

#18 ·
Oh no Traxy the dealership is taking real good car of me drip drip sarcasm.....I didn't know about the cast breaking omfg i am so mad all those times i took my trax in they told me the could not find the leak and that the level was full and this may have been the problem all along just to get me past the factory warranty. I feel so sick.........and very irritated.

#21 · (Edited)
Quality was there since only 2% failed before 60,000 miles and not all with this particular failure. On some the crack was between the turbo port and the waste gate port which meant a lost of turbo pressure that would gradually get worst until the ECM felt it was below acceptable and turned on the CEL or MIL which ever way you want to call it.

But this is not where yours cracked. I'm going to try to find a picture of your actual problem if I can.

In your case what failed is the actual turbo, In this picture you can see the oil inlet and outlet.

Here is a picture of a complete assembly, this is the revised version.

#25 · (Edited)
Yes i know right well the adviser from GM called me but i couldn't answer the phone and i called back leaving voicemail eg phone tag damnit. This is like getting kicked in the head i just don't understand what the **** is going on somebody needs to get their stuff together the loaner i am driving might as well be mine ha like that will ever happen. Thanks again Traxy i just am seeing so much hanky panky i have never had this much hassle before and i am getting discouraged by the mess.Maybe i should have taken the trax to a Buick dealership lol and get the buick turbo lol same part different number.......update the miles are going up on my Trax and now the oil life indicator shows 0% and i got a email from OnStar to service my vehicle soon really? What the **** is going on now?

#26 ·
Well Friday it was finished finally all new turbo and all the new seals and oil lines I even got to smell the new part smell burning off yay. I am happy I got her back but not happy it took so long to get fixed and the going out to begin with. But at least it didn't drop me on the highway somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.