Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Purchased a new 2020 AWD Trax in August so this is my first winter and potential snow. I have the factory Continental Tires which have the "M" and "S" ratings for Mud and Snow. We live on Long Island, NY so a normal winter may see a half dozen snow events of 6 inches or less, however, we do get blizzards with over two feet of snow at times. I wanted to know how well my AWD Trax will handle in snow and typical winter weather. Any conditions to avoid or times that the Trax design (tall and light) may affect the handling? I realize that my Trax is not the best off-road snow vehicle, but it is a great car I really enjoy!
Your thoughts on winter driving and what you have been able to travel through are most welcome. Others can learn from your replies too.
TY Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
We get a lot of snow here usually. My Trax handles fairly good in snow. Winter tires are a big factor. My Trax came with 205/70-16 Conti Pro not very good for any traction. I couldn't find a winter tire that size so the Tire shop suggested 215/65-16. In hindsight I should have gone with 195/75-16 because of the light weight of the Trax. I've gone through 3 winters so far without a problem. Love my Trax.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi. I'm in a suburb of Minneapolis. I bought a 16 AWD in September 2019. Last winter we had a few 6-8 inch snow falls and some in the 2-5 range. I have 2 hills I encounter, 1 a bit steep and about 1/2 block long, 1 mild and about 1 block long. 1st one was almost always a problem with a 2WD Ranger even with sand bags, and tossup with a Camry. I had decent luck with the 220 70 16 Firestone Destination that were on the vehicle when I bought it. I notice a difference with this and other vehicles with the exception of an AWD Astro (then again, the Astro was heavier, had a larger engine, and a different transmission.) I have tried hitting the gas from a stop while going around a corner (even though not a good idea). out of 4 attempts, the traction notice light came on once. I rotate the tires every 3 months because mine is normally front wheel drive. (rear engages at start of movement and when slippery is noticed by sensors.)

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
Sometimes it depends on the tire manufacturer recommendations, I've seen both lower and higher rotation schedules for tires over the years.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Hi. I'm in a suburb of Minneapolis. I bought a 16 AWD in September 2019. Last winter we had a few 6-8 inch snow falls and some in the 2-5 range. I have 2 hills I encounter, 1 a bit steep and about 1/2 block long, 1 mild and about 1 block long. 1st one was almost always a problem with a 2WD Ranger even with sand bags, and tossup with a Camry. I had decent luck with the 220 70 16 Firestone Destination that were on the vehicle when I bought it. I notice a difference with this and other vehicles with the exception of an AWD Astro (then again, the Astro was heavier, had a larger engine, and a different transmission.) I have tried hitting the gas from a stop while going around a corner (even though not a good idea). out of 4 attempts, the traction notice light came on once. I rotate the tires every 3 months because mine is normally front wheel drive. (rear engages at start of movement and when slippery is noticed by sensors.)
No such thing as a 220/70-R16

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your feedback. I guess the first time it snows, I'll see how the factory combination works. I love my Trax too!
TY Bill

·
Registered
210 Posts
The factory Continental tires are terrible in the snow. It is not the fault of the Trax, it is the tires, IF we decide to keep this one at the end of the lease it will get new tires right away. You can tell by looking at the thread pattern that they will not be good in snow, look at the patterns of tires that are good in snow to see the difference. I have never gotten stuck with the Trax, but it is struggling more than it should, Wife has gotten stuck a few times, but wife driving skill is a different topic to be discussed when I am wearing my frying pan proof helmet.....

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
The factory Continental tires are terrible in the snow. It is not the fault of the Trax, it is the tires, IF we decide to keep this one at the end of the lease it will get new tires right away. You can tell by looking at the thread pattern that they will not be good in snow, look at the patterns of tires that are good in snow to see the difference. I have never gotten stuck with the Trax, but it is struggling more than it should, Wife has gotten stuck a few times, but wife driving skill is a different topic to be discussed when I am wearing my frying pan proof helmet.....
Best upgrade to any Trax is dumping those Continentals, even the cheap Chinese tires i put on mine have given me better grip on both dry and wet pavement, and barely show any wear after the first 5k on them.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the follow-up comments! Can I get one of those "frying pan proof" helmets on Amazon? LOL
TY BIll

1 - 12 of 12 Posts