Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Trucks and SUVs are continuing to grow in popularity. This has been a trend for a while now. You will probably notice that most companies are releasing more vehicles in these segments. The Trax is one of them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I noticed car makers are getting smarter about there bigger vehicles, RAM for one came out with a diesel engine for it's 1500 RAM

·
Registered
556 Posts
That has been selling well. Do you think that more diesel engines should be put into SUVs and trucks then? Will it work for other vehicles or is it just a good move for the 1500 RAM?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think they should, even all the way down to small vehicles like the Trax, just imagine what mileage would be like for such a small vehicle with a torquie diesel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well TRAX already has a diesel. It comes down to market preferences, there is quite the expense when it comes to certifying powertrains for specific markets so automakers will not do it superfluously...

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think that volume may come into play as well. They have to be building enough of those engines to keep the price down. (or would it just be added to the volume that gets sent to Europe already?)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that volume may come into play as well. They have to be building enough of those engines to keep the price down. (or would it just be added to the volume that gets sent to Europe already?)
Engines are homogenous across brands. For example the Euro TRAX/Mokka make use of Opel powerplants. Its not so much a question of production but certification. Its expensive to certify a powertrain combination for NA saleability, so again it doesn't happen just for kicks...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Does America have particularly difficult diesel regulations or something? Or is it just different enough that it is difficult. Seems like something that would be nice if it was standardized.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Does America have particularly difficult diesel regulations or something? Or is it just different enough that it is difficult. Seems like something that would be nice if it was standardized.
Don't know, it must be something like that which is playing into how the diesel vehicle industry is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No its not about the regulations its about consumer preference...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I guess it's a good thing that we don't have many of them on the road, in the UK they have a lot of them and I know a people over their hate how dirty they are.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I guess it's a good thing that we don't have many of them on the road, in the UK they have a lot of them and I know a people over their hate how dirty they are.
But they aren't actually more dirty right? Isn't it that they are more dirty but they use less fuel to produce the same energy so it kinda evens out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does it actually even out?
I don't know anything about diesels as most of what i've owned and seen available are vehicles with gasoline engines.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i was reading that even new diesel engines produce as much NOx as older engines and haven't improved much in that area

1 - 17 of 17 Posts