Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question in regards to the 1.4 turbo engine.. After a long drive around, do you guys let the car stay on for a few minutes to let the turbo cool off or do you just turn it off right away ??

·
Registered
181 Posts
If I just came off the freeway or was driving it hard I let it idle for about one minute, otherwise I let it idle for about 10 seconds. I also change the oil sooner than the oil life monitor says to. When I used to work on cars for a living, any turbos that came in for an oil change got premium oil and we pre-filled the oil filter with oil.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No data to back this up but think of it. Part spinning at XXXX rpms and you suddenly shut it off, stopping oil flow also. A short time at idle with oil still cooling it can only make sense. Some operation manuals I have read specifically mention a short duration ( in minutes) at idle prior to shut off. Unfortunately the Trax is the wife's vehicle = never going to happen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok...so I have to admit I have not been doing this! I will now allow a "one-minute" idle before shutting off the engine when I get back from wherever. For some reason I've only been cautious about start-up, and have started allowing the Trax time to warm in winter-mornings. Thanks for the tip bswarm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the Trax turbo is also cooled by coolant, as well...

the Trax is turbo charged, yes, but is not even remotely close to approaching any thing considered performance or stressed when it comes to the turbo charger.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
I copied this from a site that was talking about letting turbo cars cool down after use.

You don't have to treat it different if it's a stock setup. If you do a bunch of pulls, just do a bit of normal driving or let the car run for a minute or two so it can cool down the coolant and oil by pumping it through the system.
So just like any car, if it's been run hard, drive it normal for a bit to cool everything down. If your car has sat long enough that the engine temp is close to ambient, let it warm up by driving like a grandma before you push it hard. If it's really really cold, 30 second idle, then grandma drive, then you're fine. If it's crazy ass cold, like you're in Antarctica, a few minutes of idling or longer will be needed. If you're NOT in Antarctica, don't let your car idle forever to warm it up, because carbon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a bad habit of starting my car and going inside to finish drinking my coffee and getting my things together (that I should have the night before admittedly)

But it's comforting to know you can treat it the same way. I've seen lots of people, with different cars of course, that have performance turbo setups and after running it for a good drive, they bring it home, leave it on idle for 5-6 minutes, and then shut it off. I would really hate to do that every darn time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would think in sever conditions like below zero or 90+, letting the turbo cool down for 5 minutes is a smart thing to do, otherwise a minute or so is fine.

I think the morning run is more important, your giving the turbo and oil a chance to circulate and warm up, the colder it is the more it should warm up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree on the warm up in cold start conditions, but not for too long. The Ecotec engines used in the early 2000s Saturns had some engine problems from idling them too long, causing timing chain/guide failure. A minute or two should be long enough on really cold mornings. And... not driving GTA5 style until after it warms up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damages from idling too long? How would that occur??

I remember once I started my car and went inside and forgot about it for a good 35 minutes or so.. Completely lost track and train of thought and finally realized it eventually. Other than unnecessary fuel burning, it was alright.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Those early Ecotecs had insufficient oil flow to the timing chain/guides at idle, causing wear and early failure. They redesigned some parts to let more oil get to the problem areas on newer models. Some owners had problems getting GM to cover the failures. Oil pressure is lower at idle which is why problems like that can pop up. I had one of the early Saturn Vues (which the Trax replaced), so I switched to 10W30 oil instead of the 5W30 that was recommended. It's still running fine to this day, my son owns it now.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would think switching to 10-30 might not be a good idea until your engine has 100K miles on it and it loosens up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would think switching to 10-30 might not be a good idea until your engine has 100K miles on it and it loosens up.
In the warm climate where I live 10W30 works just fine in the Saturn Ecotec. Saturn never issued a recall on the problem so I switched oil almost 10 years ago when it had about 30k miles on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It definitely depends on what the climate is like. In the summer time it doesn't get super hot, but my buds car calls for 0w-20. However, in the summer he runs 5w-20 and back to 0w-20 in the winter.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would imagine if you live where it stays warm all the time you can get away with a heavier oil, but I think you would be better off using light oil at the start of use.

Just until the engine breaks in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts