Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blowing open Millions if not Billions in sunk marketing costs and a long standing rhetoric that younger people don't want cars... Maybe now we can get past the foolish notion that cell phone has replaced the car, that Millennials don't want cars because they're not nice, or friendly or whatever... Mobility is mobility and PERSONAL (read owned) mobility will ALWAYS remain KING...

Peter DeLorenzo bashing it FIRMLY over the head:

Apparently the “news” in the study is that millennials are finding that cars are essential in the real world, but that they would like the buying process to be less time consuming and conducted with more clarity – wouldn’t we all? – and that they should have more customization options available that are actually affordable. Other than that, they’re good with cars.

“The insights gleaned from this first auto study show a generation that emphasizes car ownership and the critical role it plays in their day-to-day lives,” said Berj Kazanjian, senior vice president of ad sales research at MTV. “Millennials, like other generations, see car ownership as a way to establish independence, but millennials also see car ownership as a way to craft their unique adult identity.”

Wow, imagine that. After all of the angst and hand-wringing that went into catering to and marketing to millennials, it turns out they’re remarkably very similar to previous generations. Maybe somewhere along the way a few of them discovered that they can’t take a road trip to adventure or to find themselves with Uber. That there’s more to life than just going along for the ride.
Thank goodness that gibberish is dead...

·
Registered
556 Posts
If millennials were buying cars than a study like this wouldn't be necessary. instead we would just be talking about how many cars they bought. So I am still a little skeptical. is the conclusion that millenials are open to buying cars, but don't?

·
Registered
193 Posts
So much for those reports that suggest millennials don't want to own cars. Always had a feeling those original reports were off as they weren't consistent with what i've seen in the real world and we all know how good of an indicator that is..

·
Registered
556 Posts
There’s another point of the MTV study about the millennials and how they view cars that made me laugh and that is that they think they deserve more targeted advertising that really speaks to them. Well, of course they do. Why would the most self-absorbed generation want it any other way?
This is something that really bothers me about older people talking about the millennial generation. Older generations have been marketed to for quite a while. In fact, most car advertising goes after them. So from that position I think it is ignorant to talk about millennials as self-absorbed. Is being self-absorbed just asking for attention that is usually devoted to the previous generation?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If millennials were buying cars than a study like this wouldn't be necessary. instead we would just be talking about how many cars they bought. So I am still a little skeptical. is the conclusion that millenials are open to buying cars, but don't?
The conclusion is that milennials are poor and once they get a real job change their opinion on the necessities of personal mobility...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is something that really bothers me about older people talking about the millennial generation. Older generations have been marketed to for quite a while. In fact, most car advertising goes after them. So from that position I think it is ignorant to talk about millennials as self-absorbed. Is being self-absorbed just asking for attention that is usually devoted to the previous generation?
In case you've had your head in a hole for the last 5 years, just about every new car and subsequent campaign has been focused on youth, engingina younger demo, social media... becuase makers KNOW that older people know the value of the vehicle, their money is a guarantee already (to the industry not an individual brand per se)

They want to feel that their purchase makes them important, thats what DeLorenzo is talking about, the perverse need to be told that their purchase is IMPERATIVE to the company, that they are in fact special and favorite...

·
Registered
556 Posts
In case you've had your head in a hole for the last 5 years, just about every new car and subsequent campaign has been focused on youth, engingina younger demo, social media... becuase makers KNOW that older people know the value of the vehicle, their money is a guarantee already (to the industry not an individual brand per se)
Well thanks for saying this in the most polite way possible.

I think the problem is that the ads focus on millennials but the cars don't hit the mark. Yes they try to appeal to millennials but I just don't think that many of those models really succeed in this regard.

·
Registered
745 Posts
As for cars hitting the mark , to me that does seem to be the case as if you look at what those vehicles provide and at what cost, it's quite in line with what they can afford and what they need and what they want.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think that we will start to see better vehicles for millennials when millennials get into positions of more power. Right now the older generation is using focus groups to figure out what the younger generation wants. Once the younger generation has more control, twe will see shifts in the types of cars being produced and a consequential uptick in how those cars appeal to younger folks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that we will start to see better vehicles for millennials when millennials get into positions of more power. Right now the older generation is using focus groups to figure out what the younger generation wants. Once the younger generation has more control, twe will see shifts in the types of cars being produced and a consequential uptick in how those cars appeal to younger folks.
See thats the problem with Millenials, BETTER vehicles for millenials... I don't understand what this means, as if their personal mobility is different and more grandiose then the rest of our personal mobility.

The whole revelation of the survey was that car buying millenials are in fact not much different then the generation ahead of them and the generation ahead of THEM.

What the younger generation wants in a vehicle is periphreal, if not superfluous. They NEED the core function of personal mobility, hands free coffee drinking gizmos, orgasmic seats and USB content direct injection aren't included...

·
Registered
556 Posts
See thats the problem with Millenials, BETTER vehicles for millenials... I don't understand what this means, as if their personal mobility is different and more grandiose then the rest of our personal mobility.

The whole revelation of the survey was that car buying millenials are in fact not much different then the generation ahead of them and the generation ahead of THEM.

What the younger generation wants in a vehicle is periphreal, if not superfluous. They NEED the core function of personal mobility, hands free coffee drinking gizmos, orgasmic seats and USB content direct injection aren't included...
I think that millennials care less about the car as this kind of status symbol. Really the focus for them is on mobility and just being compatible with modern technology. Given that millennials are looking for cheaper options (just because of their youth mostly) I think that they would be okay with simpler cars than the older generation actually.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that millennials care less about the car as this kind of status symbol. Really the focus for them is on mobility and just being compatible with modern technology. Given that millennials are looking for cheaper options (just because of their youth mostly) I think that they would be okay with simpler cars than the older generation actually.
so they'd like rack and pinion steering, carburated inline 6 cylinders, RWD, AM radio only, no airbags, electronics or air conditioning... ??

·
Registered
556 Posts
What I mean is they care less about how fast the car goes and what engine it uses. They also are completely fine with an automatic transmission. They just have a bit different priorities when it comes to vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts