Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2018 Trax LT last Monday. During the sales process a finance guy stated that Chevrolet no longer undercoats their new vehicles. He stated that the undercoat eventually cracks and holds moisture against the metal causing rust. The very rust that it is supposed to protect against. I am familiar with that reasoning and believe it to be true. I was surprised to hear it from this sales guy however.

So what is protecting my new Trax? Nothing? Is that why he attempted to sell me that electronic rust stopping gizmo for $1100.00? That gizmo didn't stop the rear subframe on my 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD from rusting away. I was not tempted to buy another one.

So I ask again. What is under there protecting my Trax undercarriage from the road salt and brine of the Northeast? Any Northeast or Midwest owners here? What did you do?

MichaelJT

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yeah that electronic gizmo is useless here. Just get the bottom of the doors and hatch sprayed, front lip of the hood and get your sills drilled and sprayed. Hope for the best for the rest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sprayed with what exactly?

Asphalt/Tar based type? Such as Ziebart.
Oil based type like Krown(Canada) or Fluid film?

MichaelJT

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hmm...
Direct from https://www.chevrolet.com/frequently-asked-questions...

Chevrolet vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against corrosion for the first 3 years/36,000 miles and rust-through protection lasts for the first 6 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is neither necessary nor required under the Sheet Metal Coverage. Chevrolet makes no recommendations concerning the usefulness or value of such products. Application of after-manufacture rustproofing products may create an environment that reduces the corrosion resistance built into your vehicle. Repairs to cover damage caused by such applications are not covered under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your Chevrolet dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
What do you do if you want to keep your vehicle more than 6 years? Mine was sprayed with hot vaseline, it coagulates real quick and doesn't drip. Seems to work good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree with the extra undercoating. It's the gizmos some dealers try to add on. I wondered if the rust protection gizmo voids the rust warranty.
Repairs to cover damage caused by such applications are not covered under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Mine is a Salvage, no warranty I'll take my chances with this proven method.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bswarm.

I should have known about that FAQ already. Sounds like the same wordage that Volkswagen used back in 1987 when I bought my new Fox. Thanks for the link.

and Traxy the Vaseline sounds similar to Fluid Film. I will probably use FF on my Trax eventually. I do on my 1999 Silverado.

MichaelJT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ive been trying to research my issue I got full rust under my seat I currently have only 4.5k miles on my Chevy Trax Dec 2017 . Still have bumper to bumper warranty active..The answer from the dealership is that they cannot replace my car seat or do nothing :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. What can I do i am tired of going back an
d forth with this. My Car is new to present this types of issues... What can I do please help !
:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts