Chevy Trax Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I've had so many comments it's unreal. All positive, except for one guy that asked if it affected mpg. So tonight on my way back from my mom's place from playing BINGO which is usualy a 7.2 l/100 kms I tried it under similar condition as usual and as you can see it was the same. I live on a hill that's why it goes higher towards the end. These Michelin at 35 PSI ride better than the ContisPro at 32 PSI. I really am proud of my choice even though the tire guy said it would probably wonder. It doesn't. Didn't a snapshot on my way down because I had 3 stops to do delivering repaired clusters, HVAC units and FOBs which is what I do as a hobby in my spare time being retired. That and BitCoin mining installations and repairs. I have a guy with 10000 minors and it's a lot of work. Keeping busy.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Today I did something I'd been meaning to do since spring. I power washed my carpets. The driver's side was the worst of coarse.

Then you know how the seat belt buckle leaves marks on the pillar...

Well I decided to remove the marks with my little blow torch...

Like it never happened.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was thinking about using a mini butane torch i had for something similar, glad to see it worked perfectly for you.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
We survived Dorian, had the generator running for 22 hours after we lost power from the grid. The Yamaha performed flawlessly the whole time.

Today! I repaired a 2004 Silverado cluster and LEDed in blue for a lady from Hopewell.

Then I changed the oil in my Trax. I can't believe I went 12000kms and didn't have to top up oil levels. These engines are unreal and with very tight tolerances.

Pulled it on the cement slab in front of the garage door and pulled the parking brake. Jacked and blocked rear wheel.

Then undid the filler cap so air could get in to drain the pan.

Got the recovery bin and my birthday gift creeper out ( first use ).

Took the 10mm ratchet to the drain plug and emptied the pan and re-installed plug.

Then took my 24mm short handle ratchet so I don't overtighten and undid the filter cap and replaced the filter with a new FRAM.

I like to remove the filler neck from the valve cover because I just think it's easier to fill this way with no flap in the way.

Filled with my usual Mobil 1 full synthetic.

After the oil change was done I took this opportunity to lube the hood latch and hinges.

Also took the manifold shield off and sprayed a generous amount of lubricant on the waste gate lever pivot point hoping some may actually get in there.

Then I reset the oil life monitor to 100%, it was down to 7% when I decided to change it with almost 12000kms

·
Registered
150 Posts
You're so right about the tight tolerances Traxy, I'm on my way to around the same milage as you before my first oil change. And despite the manual saying to check the oil every 400 miles, the only missing drops of oil ended up on the rag i checked the level with.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Today, I had the windshield replaced on the Trax finally. I kept putting it off thinking it was going to be like $600 Cnd turned out to be just half that and all done in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
This afternoon I decided to work on my fog lights. So started putting the relay module in a box.

Drilled holes in the box for the wires and added C3, a 1000ɥf capacitor in parallel with the low beam relay coil to stop it from chattering during DRL mode.

Final product...

This setup will turn on the fog lights with DRL during the day so as soon as you put it in gear and with low beam at night. High beams will shut them down.

Here is the final circuit.

Can't wait to try this out.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Today so far I repaired a 2003 Top Kick cluster

, a 2003 GMC Sierra cluster full refurbish

, and LED his headlamp switch and HVAC control to match the blue cluster. All bulbs were burnt in these. I think he will appreciate having these work again.

And it's only 10 o'clock.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
This morning I received my LED H8

So I decide to wire in my little relay box previously posted

As I was doing this I changed my mind on the set-up. Instead of having them only come on when low beam or DRL are "ON" I decided to have them come "ON" as soon as engine is running. This way they will light the path to my car after remote start. They will still turn "OFF" with high beams though because that's the law here. I ordered 6000K color temperature because it was the closest to 5300K they had. They aren't blue yet but getting close. I will see tonight how well they work. So everything works like my second plan should. The install is pretty much done except for tucking and looming the wires. I'll do that once I'm satisfied with the results and I'm sure there will be no more changes of the old mind.

https://youtu.be/AOqfTdkodaE

https://youtu.be/A0QUpBhQEAI

Don't know why I waited so long....I love these

https://youtu.be/TeNX3nhcSIY

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Today I received a brand new water pump for my Trax. Will install as soon as I have a chance.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Today I did a comparison run with my Vehicles. Last week I did a particular run with my Trax 137 kms. I averaged 6.8l/100Kms which is good. This morning I had to do the exact same run and decided to take the Encore instead just to take it for a run. Well was I surprised to get only 6 l/100kms with the Encore. Mind you it's Saturday and less traffic cutting me off but the difference still seems significant. Trax is AWD though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would attribute it to the weight of the Encore compared to the Trax, since the Buick has a better interior comfort level in comparison. All that leatherette and sound dampening material may not be heavy individually, but adds up when combined together.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I would attribute it to the weight of the Encore compared to the Trax, since the Buick has a better interior comfort level in comparison. All that leatherette and sound dampening material may not be heavy individually, but adds up when combined together.
Actually the Trax is 28 Kg ( 62lbs ) less than the Encore. But the Encore doesn't have to turn a rear differential all the time. But 10% seems like a lot for the same powertrain. I know the Encore is better than the Trax because I keep track but it just seems a lot better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that there is that big of a difference between the two of them, especially since I'm running about 10% farther than the specs sheet says i shouldin my AWD LT. Since I'm primarily driving in the city, I'm getting 9.0 L/100 km (26.2 mpg). Now i know that I've hit 6.1L/100 km (38.4 mpg) on the highway, which surprised me even more coming up through the mountains of West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania.

I'll be taking a trip this coming weekend across the state, so I'll see what happens when it's a healthy mix of highway/city driving. I'm expecting about 7.4 L/100 km (32 mpg) over the course of the journey since i know there are sections where red lights are miles away from the next light.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Had the water pump changed in my Trax, hoping this was my coolant leak. should know in the next few days.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That actually doesn't look like too bad of a job on the Trax. Considering the position of the engine I wondered if you would be forced through the wheel well at some point, but that picture speaks a thousand words right now to me at least.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That actually doesn't look like too bad of a job on the Trax. Considering the position of the engine I wondered if you would be forced through the wheel well at some point, but that picture speaks a thousand words right now to me at least.
All done from the top!

Today I extracted the driver's seat from the Trax to get a rip fixed. Leatherette cracked last winter in the cold. Electric seats are heavy I noticed.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Today I re-installed my repaired driver's seat.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts