Chevy Trax Forum banner

201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Update: Drove the Trax all day and never smelled coolant once! I believe my problem is solved for now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update: Drove the Trax all day and never smelled coolant once! I believe my problem is solved for now!
Thanks for the update, Traxy! Tracking down coolant leaks can be a major pain! Just went through this on a 2005 Grand Caravan, so I feel your pain. Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for sharing, especially with the helpful photos as always :)

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Yes, my trax is jerky too. Not much power when moving from a stop and jerky. 2017 AWD
I would check the Mass Airflow Sensor, it's probably dirty and telling the engine to make the wrong adjustment for air and fuel ratio. Considering it's a 2017, i would take it to the dealership as any troubles should still be under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Could be a lot of things like corroded coil contactors. These are good vehicles but they don't repair themselves, sometimes they need maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a couple of bad sputters in my 2014 Trax, the first thing I looked at was the sparkplugs. noticing there was some corrosion and wear on both the plugs and the springs, I replaced everything except the coil unit itself. It seems worse now (the sputtering) then it was before. I bought an extended warranty and have about (2) months left on it, going to bring it in to the dealer. I wish I would have seen this post and pics before!

I absolutely love this car and I am disappointed this is happening, I am hoping it is an easy fix like a loose hose, broken seal. It seems that the longer I drive is when the issue starts, when I have to slow down and then pick up speed again, I get the sputtering, feels like the fuel isn't getting to where it needs to be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well lets a/c went out due to a part failure on the cooling system turbo charger bearing failure temp controls for the heating a/c broke other than that i think it's a fun little suv to drive.....the other is the recall on the control arms but that is a part supplier error China what do you expect no quality control inho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I complained about this same thing from the first week of owning it when I bought it brand new, literally off the car carrier and had waited for it to come in for 6 weeks! It was the beginning of many problems! Most revolve around temperature. The vehicle runs HOT! 2 years into owning it, not even at 65000 miles, and the radiator had to be replaced. I have ALWAYS only taken it to the dealer I purchased it from. After arguing about it for well over an hour, they agreed to pay for it. Now, having owned it 3 years and 2 months the water pump has died!!!! I have just now 75000 miles. I'm ready to go in and fight them again!
Worst made vehicle!

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Water pumps fail on all vehicles. I had mine replaced a month ago with only 88000 kms (about 55000 miles ). I won't trade my Trax because it needs maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
I've seen water pumps fail in less mileage personally, and it makes sense that the Trax runs hot isn't really a surprise since it has a turbo. I mean when you really think about it objectively, a 6 years old turbocharged 4 cylinder needing a water pump around 70K isn't out of the norm. I would be surprised if you said anything in the 20-30K range had a failed water pump and radiator, because that's rare in my personal experience. But when you get double to triple those miles it's just maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steering problems with the 2016 Trax LT

Has anyone else found that the power steering pulls to the right and requires more force to turn left, and constant physical pressure to maintain any left turn or to pull against road crown to the right?

I don't find any issues with the power steering to the right, but to the left is 2-3 times more difficult than a right turn or holding a right curve
Yes, I have a 2017 LT and the steering feels the same. Also, there are additional posts towards the end of this thread saying GM designs steering to slightly veer to the right - don't know if that is true. The reasoning is if you fall asleep, car will drift to the curb - don't know.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Nearly every car i have ever owned would drift right if you have your hands off the wheel too long, and that's been a spectrum of foreign and domestic vehicles over the past 25 years. The vehicles have dated between 1980-present, my 2019 Trax drifts right slowly but will eventually drift right.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Or maybe it's just the crown in the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Team. My 2017 Trax is having an issue with the AWD. Driving in snow and ice for longer periods causes the AWD to disable itself. A message comes up saying AWD is disabled. The manual states it is caused by excessive wheel spin and the system needs to cool down. It's rather inconvenient. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
No problems in my case, but that is usually a condition of the tires in my experience with AWD vehicles. I haven't had much snow to play in this year, but I've had nothing but good things to tell about how my Trax has done

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 AWD Trax Turbo problems

Evening all,

Bought a 2019 AWD Trax LT in December 2018.

After 3 weeks and at 2348 miles CEL comes on- dealership has to replace the "turbo charger solenoid".

Now 3 weeks later and at 4884 miles CEL comes on, under powered, dealership says it was the water issue in the after cooler and the "old" fix (heater box) is no longer the recommended fix as it didn't work. There is no current recommended fix per GM according to the dealership.

I'm going to see what happens but I'm being proactive and getting things in order to trade it off on a Subaru.

I bought this vehicle strictly to commute 200 miles a day/ 4 days a week. I can't have an unreliable car with known documented problems and yet no documented permanent fixes.
* i have a 2017 trax with 70k miles. its been good until i wrecked it twice last year. i swear the dealership messed it up, after i got it back the ac/heat stopped working. now less than a year later i have a coolant and oil leak and now they say my PCV system is clogged. they claim its not related to any of the work they did last year. so now im out another 1800 for this coolant/oil leak and pcv. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
There was a recall on older models, I thought GM had resolved this issue.
Well I’m back, after my last rant I calmed down, I didn’t write GM. But what a mistake that was cuz after I picked up my trax they told me I should have a cover on it and to let it run for 30-45 mins!! WTF is the dealership going to pay my gas bill???? So anyway I get it home and it runs good for a few weeks but was noticing a burning oil smell inside the trax after command starting it, called the dealership and they told me they put fresh oil in it last time they fixed it and that they maybe spilt some on the motor. They also told me on the phone that they repaired a seal and the vehicle shouldn’t hit 6000 rpm while going up a hill. I said okay and left it at that. I was heading to the city the next day with my dd and had my cruise set to 102 heading up a hill and the vehicle hits 6000 rpm again and check engine light comes on. I’m so mad at this point I keep going to the city do what I have to and drive it home (closest city is a hour and 30 minutes away) I get it home and shut it off, it was a Saturday and my dealership isn’t open Saturday or Sunday, Sunday night comes around and I go to manually start my suv, no check engine light. It has shut off! Yeah me! 2 weeks ago it’s -5 and the check engine light comes on again going up a hill, on star sends me an email and says it’s my transmission or emissions control. I work full time wake nights when I get home I want to sleep not deal with this crap so I think it’s gonna shut off again, sure enough it shuts off two days later. Okay good right? Wrong! Yesterday morning I’m headed home from work, going up a hill and loose power, rpms up to 6000 and check engine light comes on, get another email from onstar and it says I have 1 day to take it in and get it fixed. I now am more mad that A. This keeps happening even tho they said it wouldn’t anymore and B. My oldest dd is getting her learners this summer how is she supposed to drive the suv when this keeps happening. The trax isn’t even a year old yet WTF!!! Guess I’m going to the dealership first thing this morning and throwing my keys at them cuz I’m sick of this. Do not buy a trax or if you do make sure you get extra warranty!! Wish I had the money to trade this thing in and get back my Cruze!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, I have read many posts and have picked up a lot of good info here so thanks to everyone who contributes to the Forum. I have a 2014 Chevy Trax that I bought new in Canada. So far I like the SUV but have had some issues. My Trax is at about 155000 Km already and so far I have done all of the regular maintenance and also have had to replace the Rad, 1 coolant hose to the Turbo, the Water pump, the thermostat and the rubber boots and springs for the Coil pack. I like driving the SUV and it feels solid other than the frequent coolant leaks I have no complaints. The latest issue I had was the Thermostat stuck open, or was opening too soon and the engine would never blow heat in the cabin until it sat idling for awhile, once on the highway the small engine just didn't produce enough heat to stay warm and cooled off quickly with the Thermostat being defective.

Over all I like the SUV. I'm lucky in the fact that I have a mechanic friend who lets me empty the AC coolant etc whenever I need to for working on the car. Most of the repairs Ive had to do would have been very expensive at the dealer, so far Ive been able to do everything myself. Reliability has been an issue with my Trax. I was hoping to have it paid off before expensive repairs started but have had no luck in that respect.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ive been trying to research my issue I got full rust under my seat I currently have only 4.5k miles on my Chevy Trax Dec 2017 . Still have bumper to bumper warranty active..The answer from the dealership is that they cannot replace my car seat or do nothing :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. What can I do i am tired of going back and View attachment 3267 d forth with this. My Car is new to present this types of issues... What can I do please help ! View attachment 3266 :mad: View attachment 3268

·
Registered
73 Posts
All in all my Trax has been good to me but lots of stupid issues that should not have happened this early. 2014 Trax LT with 53,000km or 32,000 miles. I have had to replace both front control arms - extended warranty, oil pan gasket - under warranty, oil cooler seals - extended warranty, both rear shocks were leaking so I replace them. My front right strut needs replacing now. PIA vehicles lol.

201 - 220 of 236 Posts