Chevy Trax Forum banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
If you have the same types of roads and potholes we have, no vehicle is immune. I think I will need to replace a front wheel bearing soon and I only have 99,000kms.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Well I found the source of my noise which I thought was a wheel bearing. Turns out it wasn't a wheel bearing but a bearing none the less. It's the steady bearing on the propeller ( drive ) shaft. So far I haven't found a replacement bearing and dealer wants to sell me the whole shaft. Going to bring it to A+ driveshaft next week to see if they can part source the steady bearing, if not I'll have to make a financial decision on a junkyard shaft or a new one. GM#42529901

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I found the source of my noise which I thought was a wheel bearing. Turns out it wasn't a wheel bearing but a bearing none the less. It's the steady bearing on the propeller ( drive ) shaft. So far I haven't found a replacement bearing and dealer wants to sell me the whole shaft. Going to bring it to A+ driveshaft next week to see if they can part source the steady bearing, if not I'll have to make a financial decision on a junkyard shaft or a new one. GM#42529901

What kind of noise you getting? Like a droning noise that resonates through the whole vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Actually it sounds like a scrapping noise. At first I thought it was the brake pad screamer which made sense to me since there was 60k miles on a mostly city driven vehicle. So I changed the rotors and pads. But to my surprise there was still about 3/16" left on the pads before it hit the screamer. Then I thought wheel bearing....As it got worst it started to make a wobbly sound on top of the scrapping sound and that is when I realised it was about 3 times wheel rotation speed which pointed to the drive shaft. Put it up on a hoist and sure enough although not as loud the stethoscope pointed it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AC Blower is making a high pitch noise. It sounds like baby birds chirping. I'm still on the bumper to bumper warranty so I might take it in. Anyone have any ideas what the cause might be? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Probably a dry blower fan motor bushing. Since they can't be greased you'll have to get the motor replaced.

Reactions: mattw1099

·
Registered
137 Posts
Haven't posted in a while, so I figured I would update the forum after four years of ownership since new on her 2016 Trax LS 6M

The Wife's Trax just had its second safety inspections conducted by the dealership (4-year ownership) 44 000 Miles, received the video. no corrosion under the vehicle (except for exhaust which does not appear to be stainless) vehicle is undercoated twice a year. All checks out, so after four years of ownership in the Canadian climate (3 winters). Here is our total maintenance costs (other than undercoating) and the two sets of tires one summer one winter purchased when picking up the vehicle.

3 Wiper Blades 50.00
7Oil changes 320.00 (first four covered by GM)
2 Air filters: 30.00
Roof plastic trims replaced under warranty

Inspection revealed front brake pads while still legal will need replacing in the coming year. Each set of tires is still between half and a third of its thread life.

That's it, folks... Paid less than $14 000us out the door for the vehicle in 2016 and the maintenance costs for the first four years = One hundred dollars a year.

Very satisfied, we always own two or three vehicles and this is the cheapest "second vehicle" we have owned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is my list of repairs so far.

1. Replace water pump (under warranty)
2. Replace throttle body
3. Replace valve cover
4. Replace upstream O2 sensor
5. Replace Purge valve
6. Replace stripped wheel stud (Head was stripped, not threads, very difficult to remove)
7. Replaced leaking AC condenser

Car is a 2017 Trax manufactured in Korea. Currently has 113K miles.

Oddly, original brakes are still good.

Also did PVC valve bypass mod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently bought a used 2016 Trax LT (Broncos Orange!) and so far, I love it. When I bought it I did notice a little bit of rust beginning to bubble up from the front edge of the passenger side rear door. There was literally nothing else wrong with it (62,000 miles) and the dealer included an extra 2 years/24,000 bumper to bumper warranty on top of lifetime powertrain warranty. The old owner bumped into me in the parking lot at Walmart and I asked him, "Okay, what was wrong with it?" He said, "Nothing. I loved it. But I got married and my wife wanted something different." FWIW, I bought it (instead of a recent model KIA Soul) as much for Uber (I have a LOT of time on my hands) as anything else and it's been a dream. Good gas mileage around town, eeeeaaassssyyyyyy to get in and out of (for me and the passengers) rugged, childproof and service dog proof upholstery, plenty of A/C, 110V outlet for a food warmer (Uber Eats) easy to drive, etc. Rear facing camera, bluetooth phone integration, you guys know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my list of repairs so far.

1. Replace water pump (under warranty)
2. Replace throttle body
3. Replace valve cover
4. Replace upstream O2 sensor
5. Replace Purge valve
6. Replace stripped wheel stud (Head was stripped, not threads, very difficult to remove)
7. Replaced leaking AC condenser

Car is a 2017 Trax manufactured in Korea. Currently has 113K miles.

Oddly, original brakes are still good.

Also did PVC valve bypass mod.
Good to know that the original brakes can last so long. Just wonder if your 2017 Trax is a Premier or LS? My 2017 LT is from GM Mexico plant. I thought North American Trax (2017 and after) are all manufactured in Mexico, and only those Buick Encore come from their Korean plant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ours is 2015 LT made and driven in Mexico so it has the non turbo 1.8 engine. Had new tires in 2017, new wiper blades, in 2020 I had trans and brake fluid changed, have done regular oil and filter changes, and just had new plugs installed and had injectors cleaned. I spent money on new floor mats and a K&N drop in air filter. Really just normal service stuff. So far so good. Alan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good to know that the original brakes can last so long. Just wonder if your 2017 Trax is a Premier or LS? My 2017 LT is from GM Mexico plant. I thought North American Trax (2017 and after) are all manufactured in Mexico, and only those Buick Encore come from their Korean plant.
Mine is an LS built in Korea according to the stickers. A coworker of mine also bought an LS but his was made in Mexico. Go figure.

8. Just swapped out the passenger side rear door lock actuator.
9. P0299 issue in progress.

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
2019 AWD LT made in South Korea here, i live in Pennsylvania. They wouldn't sell me a Mexican model, due to the lower control arm recall.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2017 trax new and what followed was 2 years of one breakdown after another, turbo twice, mass airlflow sensor, radiator, water pump, the cable that is connected to the climate control selector, and many more I don’t want to remember. GM is fully aware they’re producing inferior quality vehicles but they don’t care. I’ll never buy American again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
P0171 was the end for me. Multiple trips to the dealer and many, many dollars later I had to get that car away from me. Changed the valve cover to address the PCV valve. The engine overpressurized and blew most of the engine seals, throwing oil all over the engine bay and ruining the alternator and breaking the accessory belt. The seals blew again, which the dealer thought was caused by a bad valve in the intake, so the intake was also changed along with the seals & gaskets again. The replacement accessory belt had been soaked with oil the second time, so it fell apart again, too and left me on the side of the road. Then the P0171 came back a week later and that was the last straw, that little car had to go.
Farewell and best of luck to all of you. I hope your Trax experience is better than mine was!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trax 2015 LS 6M with AC

61 000 KM or 37 000 miles: Blower control cable broken, this is a well-known problem of the TRAX and related to poor design. Dealer quoted 605 dollars (425usd) to replace it.

Contacted GM customer service requesting an explanation of how a cable inside the cabin could break with so little wear on so many vehicles and not be covered as a known defect. Not only did they not offer to make good on any portion of the cost of the repair, but they also didn't even send the case number over email as requested and promised.

Ended up purchasing the cable from the dealer (took 4 weeks to receive!) Installed it myself in 1.25 hours (Dealer quoted 4 hours)

Disappointing and I am concerned about the longevity of other components. Would trade the vehicle in but it has pretty much no resale value. So I guess we keep it until the Turbo blows up and we scrap the thing. Lifelong GM customer but will likely replace this vehicle with a Honda HRV or a Toyota Rav4

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
So how much did it cost you overall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Post about any issues/problems you have experience with your chevy trax in this thread.
I have a 2019 chevy trax, leased brand new. I have been having keyless remote entry issues for several months and have been back and forth to the dealership. To have to go thru any process that is not organic to the vehicle is a failure in the equipment and or vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I experienced the first failure to start the SUV, roadside assistance gave me instructions on how to bypass the issue. Not being able to lock or start your keyless vehicle, by any means to temporarily fix the problem, is absolutely ridicules!!!!!!!!!!! I have taken it to the dealership multiple times and they once THEY TOLD told me it was low on the remote battery and that is why you (I) had trouble with it. This was NOT true or correct SINCE THE PROBLEM IS WITH BOTH REMOTES I HAVE FOR THE VEHICLE! I intentionally gave them the spare set that was used, maybe 3 times when my husband drove my vehicle instead of his own. I told the dealer is was a lie and left saying, in a month from now if i do not have the problem again, I will call to apologize for my harsh words. Well, I never had to make that call. I did have to make a call and take it in again for the 4th times and with arguing back and forth got me no where except, frustrated and angry over the fact that the mechanics do not know how to resolve this on and off issue I keep having!!!!!!!!!!!!! My position, I should not have to deal with this on and off issue EVER AND THE MECHANICS ARE NOT TRAINED OR UP TO DATE WITH VEHICLES. THIS END THE END, IS ON THE DEALER AND I SHOULD GET ANOTHER BRAND NEW VECHICLE TO REPLACE THIS NIGHTMARE THAT THEY CAN'T SEEM TO RESOLVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE????

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
They should have replaced the RCDLR module at the first sign of a problem.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts