Chevy Trax Forum banner
281 - 289 of 289 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys! The check engine light came on about 10 days ago while my wife was heading to the city. It was not making much power and when climbing out of a valley it downshifted to 4th instead of 5th like it usually does(4000 rpm instead of 3000). When we took it to the dealer it turned out to be the turbo. Thank god for warranty! Seems to be a problem with condensation. Strange for we farm and it's 15minutes from town at highway speeds. You would think the moisture would burn/dry out. Anyways, they said they had issues with the turbo and ours was not the first. Living in the prairies and the cold winters may not help the issue. Hope this helps. I also hope this gets addressed at GM or there could be a lot of trax/encores getting traded off when warranty is up. Good thing we got extended warranty at time of purchase.
You better just buy a garbage can. Turbos trash in them. Mine been in shop they said moisture. Then they replaced the wastegate and tried to charge me for it when I hadn’t even made the first payment. Week later same issue. Now all the lights are flickering or surging. Even at highway speeds.

· Registered
1 Posts
Post about any issues/problems you have experience with your chevy trax in this thread.
Recently experienced an intermediate issue with the key fobs not working on our 2019 Chevrolet Trax. Remote starter operated fine but we found ourselves not able to get into the vehicle. Drivers door latch button, and key both fobs inoperable, but the rears hatch opened by the handle button. Had to use the key that is inside the fob to gain access. Once inside the lock were still inoperable by the door switch at times. Replaced both batteries and key fobs worked okay until they failed a few hours later. On that attempt even the car failed to start with the start button on IP. Called Roadside assistance to tow the vehicle to dealer, but found the fobs, and the vehicle to start prior to their arrival. Dealership said unless it is acting up don't drop it off.

· Registered
233 Posts
I went in for an oil change and tire rotation yesterday. I had 2 leaks: camshaft solenoid O-rings and oil inlet for the turbo. Not surprising since the vehicle is 7 years old and has a bit over 70,500 miles.

· Registered
11 Posts
Jerky shift

I've had my 2017 Trax about 2 months and have put about 2k miles on it. I've noticed that accelerating from a dead stop has a a very jerky feel to it. if anyone has this same feeling i would love to get some feedback.
Yes, Trax is more jerky while accelerating than my 2011 HHR. May be because the tranny is 6 speed and changing gears can cause jerks.

· Registered
11 Posts
2015 Trax AWD issues

Most issues have been recalls or defective parts.

Some valve in engine oil fill rotated and caused Check Engine light to come on. This was a known defect of the Manifold, but only replaced if and when the valve rotated. But the fix was intense, new top half of the engine basically.

Bad Ignition Coil, again factory defect but only fixed when the Trax starts missing do to wear out of spark plugs. I'm pretty upset about this one, at least it occurred at 43K while still under long term warranty but consequential damage to spark plugs was not covered.

These are both known issues but they haven't recalled them. They just hope it doesn't occur till after the warranty expires and then its out of the owners pocket and not theirs.

I'm disappointed with my Trax, I had a Cavalier that I got with 85K and had no issues with. Just regular fluid changes and once the water pump went out. I drove it till 200K before I got in a wreak. Only then did we replace spark plugs and other big maintenance. I then sold it and it continued to run well till the ignition needed to be replaced and the new owner replaced with a push button start. Totally ruined the car, had a hard time getting it started after that and they gave up. They just needed to replace the ignition, not modify it. But that was the best Chevy car ever. The Trax doesn't match thus far, more issues with the Trax in 2 years than in 12 yrs with my Cavalier.
May be because the TRAX has lot more features and electronic components, and sensors, and lot more complicated than Cavalier was.

281 - 289 of 289 Posts