Chevy Trax Forum banner

161 - 180 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yes, behind the card tray on the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. It gave me trouble almost from when I bought it, I should have had the dealership take care of when it was under warranty but I didn't want to go back yet again. It finally quit 2 months ago. We thought it was the switch but we could hear that it was trying to release. Turns out it was something called an actuator. My gearhead son ordered it from a supply place and replaced it. It was about a $50 part and took about 15 minutes to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission slipping/check engine light at highway speeds

Hi - I just got a 2018 Trax LT FWD as a new company car last month, and I'm very leery about it. The rear driver's door didn't open from the outside the first time I tried it (it worked from the inside), and I ended up having to take it back in for a new door latch. A colleague got one the same time I did and discovered her heat didn't work the first time she tried it and had to take it back to have it fixed the week after she got it. The first one we got last year stranded a different co-worker an hour from home when the keyless start failed and she had to have it towed to a dealer and the keys reprogrammed with about 5000 miles on it.

I had also noticed my transmission slipping a couple times when trying to merge or pass on the highway, but today realized that it does it every time I give it enough gas to cause a downshift over about 65 mph. And now the check engine light flashes when it happens. I have black goo all over the passenger side interior A-pillar, like the windshield leaked or something after it was assembled and that was the fix, and the fit/finish & parts quality is horrendous. I'm dreading having to drive this thing for 100,000 miles, but thankful I don't have to pay for its upkeep.

Has anyone else had the transmission/CEL issue? It's almost like it can't decide between fourth and fifth gears when it tries to downshift, the power is reduced, then the light flashes like ten times and goes off.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Just had my first "CEL" with my Trax at 50000Kms. P0301

I had noticed the pass couple of days that it would sometime sputter. First thought was bad gas. Removed the ignition coil pack to find cylinder 1 coil had fallen apart with a lot of green corrosion on one end of the spring. Two other coils on the assembly look fine, the forth beginning with green stuff. Must be a defect I can't see it having this much corrosion in so little time. I will be getting a new one tomorrow and I'll take pictures if I can remember.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Okay got the new coil assembly $195 Cdn.

Proceeded to take it apart again since I had slapped it back together to move it around.

2 T27 Torx screws hold the coil assembly in place. To remove the connector you must first pull the pink locking tab before you can press down on the retaining tab. Cylinder 1 & 4 boots stayed in the spark plug tunnels. Cylinder 1 even had a piece of the coil pack also stuck in there. It actually broke off.

You can also see the top of the spark plug where it pitted the tip.

Here is the badly corroded coil contact from cylinder one.

Here is cylinder 4 starting to corrode.

The 2 middle cylinder were clean.

Here are the coil contacts, the 2 middle ones look new and the outside ones are trash.

Improvised spark plug tunnel vacuum.

Here is a picture of the old pack with cylinder tube broken off. I was careful to pull it straight up.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Mine is a 2016. Just to add to this subject you can can buy the ignition coil way cheaper at rockauto.com if you can wait for delivery I would have saved $100Cdn on the exact same ACDelco D521C. But mine was misfiring badly and I couldn't or wouldn't wait to replace it. Didn't really want to load the cat with raw fuel and chance other damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turbo charger leaking, i think on my 2015 trax lt 1.4 . Im starting to think these cars are junk only 39000 miles on it.

Im sterting to think these trax are chevy trash , mine had a strange smell from the front of the engine took to dealer they said its fine the next day i see something leaking from the engine by the exaust manifold ,, it could be my turbo not sure yet , only 39000 miles on our 2015 trax bought it 30 months ago

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It is probably the turbo oil feed tube if it's leaking oil, I believe there is a bulletin on this or maybe even a recall. Mine has the new revised version already on it. It has double seals at the engine while original only had one seal. This engine is not trash but it has had growing pains dealing with the north american environment and corrosion from road salt they put on the roads. No road salts in Korea!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to Chevrolet trax lt awd
I got my car today, 1016 Chevrolet traxLt Awd. Well using cruise on my way home I noticed, holy cow I'm doing 58mph in a 45. What?? I set my cruise for 47. Going down hill it picked up speed to 58mph. My last car, kia soul slowed down on hills when in cruise. Not happy. I liked not having to ever worry about speeding when driving in cruise control. That's what it's for if you ask me. What good is it if you have to break whenever you go down a hill on the thruway. Boo

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Understand that the engine braking power of a 1.4l is far inferior than the 2.0l of the KIA Soul. Plus your Trax's engine being a 1002 years old is probably wore-out.>:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh where do I begin with the problems on these junk cars. Have 3 Trax. 2 2016, 1 2017. 2016 replaced turbo, engine, countless small issues and now a catalytic converter. Other 2016 replace turbo and countless small problems. 2017 replacing transmission.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You are not having any luck are you. Are these company vehicles driven by Tom, Dick and Harry?

Mine still purr.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My major problem was the salesman lying or maybe lie is to strong maybe he just didn't have a clue and should have asked if I can have fog lights and sunroof installed after purchase, There are no accessories for my paticular VIN I was told I was sold a floor model, ticked about that.
But my 2018 LT AWD is OK for a small SUV not a lot of room like my Escape. And sometimes when I hit a bump my android auto app goes to pause.and there is no center console on mine just an arm rest that is in the way of the seat belt so I am always lifting it up to click the belt on and off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started smelling burning oil/exhaust in the cabin when my heat was on. I know about the intake manifold gasket/warping issue so I had that taken care of. I still smell the burning odor but it could be residual oil that just needs to burn off. I haven't noticed any oil leaks but perhaps it could be dripping onto the exhaust? I'm going to have it looked at again but has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I leased a 2016 Trax LS in Sept 2016. During the first 2 yrs I had some minor but irritating problems. First, the AC blower motor had to be replaced due to loud screeching noises when it was running.

After that was fixed, my wife noticed that when she opened the door, the button which controls the locks had just dropped into the door frame, leaving a gaping hole. The service guy said he never saw that problem with any other Trax. Figures it would be mine.

Then about 4 months later, we noticed that the doors were locking without pressing the fob button or the door lock button on the door frame. At first I figured we were just inadvertently pressing the fob button, but after a while it became clear that the door locks just seemed to have a mind of their own and locked occasionally when no one was near the door or the key fob. Very irritating to say the least.

Of course when taken to the dealer the locks acted normally. So we went for months carrying around two sets of keys in case the doors locked when we were not in the car. I noticed it especially a few times when I shut off the ignition and opened the door, I could hear and see the door lock by itself. I did not have my hand near the key fob. Happened several times, so I know this was not caused by inadvertent touching of the button.

Also happened when I had closed the door and then the doors locked without any prompting from the key fob. Very very irritating. To this day I carry an extra key in case the doors lock by themselves. Other than that, the car has been running very well and giving great gas mileage. I can't say I Love the car, because those problems are making me wonder what will happen next?

In fact, I am surprised I seem to be the only one here who has experienced that locking problem. Happy days!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You must have a bad switch or FOB. Car is programmed not to lock if the key is in the ignition. I've tried it with mine, if you lock the doors with the door panel switch and you close the doors with the key in the ignition the driver door automatically unlocks. Mind you I did not try locking it with the second remote with the key in the ignition...

Are the buttons on the remote damaged in any way. I repair a lot of GM switchblades because the rubber around the ICON goes bad and the button jams in.

That' why I put a silicone case on my remotes. To stop any finger nail damage and when you drop them. An Orange one for my Trax and a brown one for my Encore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brake problem

I have searched the forum and can't find anywhere where this problem has been posted. Hope this is the right place.

I am the new owner of a 2017 Trax. Have an issue I was wondering about. The brakes stop the car fine, the brake pedal is at the top (like it should be) but when sitting at the stop, the brake pedal bleeds down, almost to the floor. Not loosing any fluid. Thought it might be the master cylinder. Took it in for service, they bled the brakes, but that did not fix it. Has this issue with the brakes happen to anyone else?

Does your brake pedal stay solid at the top?

Thanks for any help.

161 - 180 of 221 Posts