Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have Trax 2013 LT1 (in canada). I ordered a trax specific backup camera and I am now shopping around for a monitor. I would really like to use a rearview mirror as a monitor as i could buy a model with auto-dimmer. I am worried about removing the OnStar mirror... will I loose a lot of functionality?

I don't care about losing OnStar
I don't care about losing the compass

I want to keep connectivity with my phone (bluetooth calling, bluetooth music with steering control)

I called my local shop where they install all my aftermarket equipment and they do not know what will happen if they remove the OnStar mirror. I would like to avoid buying/paying for an upgraded OnStar mirror as I do not need OnStar at all.

(BTW: I just got that same shop to install fog light kit from ebay that comes with the oem switch and all.. and I now need to go to the dealer to get my computer reprogram so the car will recognize the fog lights)

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Bluetooth is done through the radio so you won't lose any bluetooth functionality. The only thing you lose is OnStar. With the 2013 you may lose the compass(not sure which year it changed to GPS data.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
(BTW: I just got that same shop to install fog light kit from ebay that comes with the oem switch and all.. and I now need to go to the dealer to get my computer reprogram so the car will recognize the fog lights)
My dealer's Tech said it couldn't be enabled. I'm sure it can be done though and think this guy was just too lazy to put in the effort. So let us know if your dealer was able to enable the fog light switch.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You need to find a GM dealer with a mechanic that has access to the tech machine after working hours, I'm sure one of them will do it for you.

Next time your at the dealer you use, ask the mechanics if they know of anyone that will do the job for you on the side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I have Trax 2013 LT1 (in canada). I ordered a trax specific backup camera and I am now shopping around for a monitor. I
Hi Frankk! I too hope you come report back on both of these mods you've done. I have the same model of Trax and want to replace my mirror with a dimming one, and as well will be installing a hidden dash camera. I also want to install fog light and wondered just how easy that would be. I'd be interested to know if you were able to do this without too much issue.

Thanks a lot :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts