Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I have a 2020 Trax LS AWD that I purchased new at the end of August. The manual says to change the oil at 7500 miles (I believe) however I have always changed oil between 3000 and 3500 miles. I have about 3600 miles now and called the dealer about the first oil change. They said that they only use synthetic oil (which is $59.99 for the oil change) and that new, they used synthetic oil at the factory. Bottom line - they told me to only change the oil and filter every 6 months (which I can't see under most conditions) or every 6000 miles. I drive 5 days per week, about half highway each day.
Should I wait and change every 6000, or would you recommend I change more frequently? I plan to keep this car as long as possible. Your thoughts are appreciated!
TY Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
Well I'm an expert on synthetic. If you look at the oil Jug they suggest changing at every 12000 miles and I agree with them except that is under normal conditions, GM says every 6000 miles. Use only synthetic in your 1.4l turbo. So if you use synthetic in your vehicle you can absolutely follow the oil monitor if it's a daily driver. Now I which I was able to read between the lines for the filter part. Since I'm not educated enough to understand the omission I choose to still change the filter after 3000 miles. When they were talking dyno oil they said oil and filter after 3000 miles, now they say if you use synthetic change oil at 6000 miles no mention of filter. They are not saying not to change filter at 3000 miles. So halfway through around 55% I change the filter and use a synthetic filter since I only go down to 10% . I change it again when I change the oil. Down to 10% there is usually over 13000kms or ( 8000 miles )

Hope this helps. Been using synthetic since my 1983 S10. Amzoil back then, but now most synthetic oils meet or exceed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I had wondered about the filter part. I remember Amzoil as I worked with someone that sold it on the side. Would you recommend having them changing just the filter for now and wait until 6000 for the oil and filter?
TY Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
I can't tell you what to do but that's what I do halfway through oil life. Maybe just my OCD. If your filter is on top like my 2016 you can do that yourself, just be sure you put the correct filter in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 on double checking the filter. there are 2 different filters, they are not interchangeable. You can tell which you have but checking your oil filter cap, either a black or brown plastic cap. One cap is marked Hengst (Black Cap), the other is UFI (Brown Cap). If you do change the oil yourself, make sure you have a 24mm (or 1 inch, its close enough) 6 point socket. Last thing you want to do is to break or round off that cap's nut.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is a daily driver also (well, 6 days/week). My commute was 5.5 miles 1 way (now 4 miles), plus an occasional stop close to home. With 1 exception, I change mine every 3 months due to short distances. The 1 exception was 4 months. Oil life monitor is usually reads 70% to 75%. I've had too many beaters (that wound up being money pits). I am trying to baby this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really love my Trax and want it to last as well. Once I get a day that isn't snowing, I'll get that hood open and check everything out! Stay safe!
TY Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi All - I have a 2020 Trax LS AWD that I purchased new at the end of August. The manual says to change the oil at 7500 miles (I believe) however I have always changed oil between 3000 and 3500 miles. I have about 3600 miles now and called the dealer about the first oil change. They said that they only use synthetic oil (which is $59.99 for the oil change) and that new, they used synthetic oil at the factory. Bottom line - they told me to only change the oil and filter every 6 months (which I can't see under most conditions) or every 6000 miles. I drive 5 days per week, about half highway each day.
Should I wait and change every 6000, or would you recommend I change more frequently? I plan to keep this car as long as possible. Your thoughts are appreciated!
TY Bill
When I got my 2016 new, I did the 1st change at 3000 as a break in change. After that I stick to 5000 mi strictly. I also rotate tires each oil change too. I can't do it myself and generally its $75 US just to change oil. I too plan on keeping my last new car until I can't drive anymore. If I'm going on a trip and its close, ( out of state ) or 4500 to the change, I go ahead and change it early. Oil is the life of the engine so I spend a little extra on the car. Have fun with your new Trax ... edit, I change the oil filter each time and check the air filter. Sense most of the miles are highway the airfilter has been replaced once and blown out a couple of times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for your additional thoughts. Lack of maintenance is probably the reason why so many used cars I looked at before buying my Trax were in poor shape. With a little luck and the right care, our Trax should last. I hope the old jingle "See the world today in your Chevrolet" still holds true!
TY Bill

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
23 Posts
...just be sure you put the correct filter in.
And if you’re unfortunate enough to have to use the UFI (vs HENGST) type filters, like me, you may want to consider grabbing as many off the shelf as you can find; they’re not easy to find. At least not in my neck of the woods. IMO, it was quite the bone-headed move to design the engine with two (incompatible) filters/housings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for following up. Does anyone know why Chevy used two different filters? Did they run out of one style and have 10,000 of another on order? I remember the early Chevy V8's with canister filters - they offered a conversion kit to move over to a spin-on style filter. Is there any benefit between how each filter performs?
TY Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased this so I don't have much experiance with this specific vehicle. I always changed my oil and filter at 5k miles replaced with high quality synthetic such as mobile one or similar. Oil is always dark but not burnt. I have never had a car start burning oil. I also siphon my trans fluid at about 50k miles and replace with high quality. I siphon into a container with measurments and put back the same amount. I also clean the air filter with my air compressor yearly until it has build up in it. Usually change cabin filter too.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
23 Posts
Is there any benefit between how each filter performs?
TY Bill
The difference is the location of the ant-drainback valve. With the HENGST type, it is built into the housing. The UFIs are part of the filter assembly.

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts

Reactions: terratone

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
You can tell which oil filter you need by the cap.

Hengst is black and UFI is brown with 8 ridges

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for clearing this up. The photos and description certainly make this easier. I appreciate everyone taking the time to explain their maintenance schedules. It has been helpful. Have a nice day!
TY Bill

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Trax
2 Posts
I have a question....where exactly is the oil meter that tells you how much life is left. Is is that oil can light when you first start vehicle. 2016 Trax

·
Registered
11 Posts
one of the menus in DIC

Reactions: Cat2016

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
I have a question....where exactly is the oil meter that tells you how much life is left. Is is that oil can light when you first start vehicle. 2016 Trax
With ignition on and in Park press menu once then turn the end of the lever up or down until oil life appears.

Reactions: Cat2016
1 - 20 of 20 Posts