Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through gas mileage discussions and since we are an international group sometimes you could get confused. Basically the Imperial gallon has forty Imperial ounces which are ever so slightly less than the US ounce. So, the difference is close to a US quart per gallon. This even is reflected in what we call 55 gallon drums. They are 44 gallons in the Imperial. Thank God for the Imperial pint. That's a decent pour.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
I remember when Canada went from Imperial to Metric, lots of people were against it but the metric system made so much more sense that I never complained.
It's about time the US joined the rest of the world and went metric. Makes much more sense!

1 gallon (US) = 1.2009 gallon (UK)
1 gallon (US) = 3.7854 liter

Reactions: HED

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember when Canada went from Imperial to Metric, lots of people were against it but the metric system made so much more sense that I never complained.
It's about time the US joined the rest of the world and went metric. Makes much more sense!

1 gallon (US) = 1.2009 gallon (UK)
1 gallon (US) = 3.7854 liter
Not quite right.
1.2009 US gal = 1.0 Imp. gal. = 4.5461 liters

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
It's right you just read it wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though gas is sold by the liter in Canada car fuel consumption is mpg with the Imperial gallon. Other countries really make it hard to convert and express it as liters consumed per 100 kms.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Not around here, liters /100k we gave up on the imperial measurements in the seventies. I remember GM sending a decal to stick on my 1971 Chevrolet Caprice to swap it to kilometers. The odometer remained in miles. My Trax is presently reading 7.9l/100k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts