Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automakers are trying to use the DMCA to classify motor vehicles as mobile computing devices, which would then render them inoperable by mere proletarians. You see we would only be borrowing the technology despite what the exchange of funds would indicate.

Oh and tractors will pirate music

http://news.boldride.com/2015/04/gm-wants-to-make-working-on-your-own-car-illegal/76702/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, John Deere argued that “letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system.”

·
Registered
745 Posts
Making this worse is the fact it's automakers that want this enforced, with that sort of backing to this idea, chances are it will get implemented.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I mean its your car to work on, but if you screw something up it could be dangerous, not sure how that's any different than the current system. I think that if you make changes to your car, the company shouldn't be liable and your warranty should be voided.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean its your car to work on, but if you screw something up it could be dangerous, not sure how that's any different than the current system. I think that if you make changes to your car, the company shouldn't be liable and your warranty should be voided.
what does a 'change' constitute? I changed my oil, I changed my coolant, I changed my sparkplugs, I changed my tires?

·
Registered
745 Posts
what does a 'change' constitute? I changed my oil, I changed my coolant, I changed my sparkplugs, I changed my tires?
True. That is something which when backed by receipts will ensure you keep your warranty and not void it since you have no paper trail of it being done.

·
Registered
193 Posts
True. That is something which when backed by receipts will ensure you keep your warranty and not void it since you have no paper trail of it being done.
Yes, this is correct.

I did this with oil changes. Dealer said it was okay as long as actually get the maintenance done and have record of it just in case.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If the maintenance is done properly than it would obviously be fine, and if you take it somewhere and get it documented it should also be fine. I think the thing that is more of a concern is when people mod the vehicle and try to fiddle with speed limiters, ECUs, and other stuff like that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the maintenance is done properly than it would obviously be fine, and if you take it somewhere and get it documented it should also be fine. I think the thing that is more of a concern is when people mod the vehicle and try to fiddle with speed limiters, ECUs, and other stuff like that.
See but here's the thing. If the engine uses some version of a VVT system, where the ECU uses oil pressure to move the cam phasers does your oil now fall under computer system? Its certainly manipulated and under the control of the computer???

See how ambiguous it can get...

·
Registered
745 Posts
It's one of the reasons I fear modifying my cars, sometimes I rather just keep them stock and away from anything like that which can be influenced by me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's one of the reasons I fear modifying my cars, sometimes I rather just keep them stock and away from anything like that which can be influenced by me.
I just don't want to do anything that will void my warranty. I probably wouldn't do anything that would do that. At least if you keep things stock you know that problems are likely the fault of the manufacturer and not something you or someone else you hired did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GM is turning up the rhetoric again...

GM's stance is a sweeping one. Cars today are mobile computing networks. Critical functions like steering, acceleration and braking are all controlled by software. Each GM model contains an average of 30 electronic control units. Without legal access to these ECUs and the software that run them, mechanics and others who enjoy working on cars may need to cease repairs.
What we have in today's world, for example, is there is a license agreement for GM's telematics system and for the infotainment system, and those are the systems the owner interacts with and comes in direct contact with," Lightsey said. "It would be difficult to have licenses for the myriad number of ECUs in a vehicle."
I think whats most troubling is that GM still gets to stake a claim to ownership. Which means the potential tracking or exportation of data to third parties (for profit naturally) would be totally lawful as GM is simply monitoring 'assets' FFS.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/20/general-motors-says-owns-your-car-software/

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ah, nothing like paying full price for a vehicle and it not being yours :D

I'm okay with them doing this, but they'll have to be leased vehicles.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have two competing beliefs about this.

1. When you buy something its your property and you have the right to do whatever you want with it. Change it, paint it, smash it with a hammer. Whatever.

2. Cars are different from other products because there is a serious safety aspect to them not only for the owner but for everyone else on the road.

I'm not sure how to reconcile these.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have two competing beliefs about this.

1. When you buy something its your property and you have the right to do whatever you want with it. Change it, paint it, smash it with a hammer. Whatever.

2. Cars are different from other products because there is a serious safety aspect to them not only for the owner but for everyone else on the road.

I'm not sure how to reconcile these.
Your second point cancels itself out. Personal safety is involved. Most tinkerers are speed freaks not suicide fans. Maybe you won't believe me but most people place their safety over the safety of others, following that line its reasonable to assume their motives of self preservation ensure preservation of other road users, texting nonwithstanding...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your second point cancels itself out. Personal safety is involved. Most tinkerers are speed freaks not suicide fans. Maybe you won't believe me but most people place their safety over the safety of others, following that line its reasonable to assume their motives of self preservation ensure preservation of other road users, texting nonwithstanding...
I agree that most people are going in in good faith when they make changes to their car. Despite that, you may still mess something up that can cause an accident.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree that most people are going in in good faith when they make changes to their car. Despite that, you may still mess something up that can cause an accident.
I can image that safety will be one of the cards they play in pushing this even more since we know when it comes to safety, things move faster.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I can image that safety will be one of the cards they play in pushing this even more since we know when it comes to safety, things move faster.
American lawmakers tend to stray away from regulation though. I don't think that they would implement a law that would be so restrictive to the average American.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Unless they slowly work up to that, who knows, maybe though enough conditioning it might go through
Lawmakers can be influenced by big companies but they still have to get votes and passing a law that stops people from working on their cars would have an angry mob at the capitol in no time. I just can't imagine politicians being able to stand behind such regulations and defend the decision to their constituents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts