1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't need to make record 0-60 speeds, if I wanted stellar 0-60 speeds I would buy a Tesla and get to 60 in a little over 2.2 seconds.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The vehicle with enough power has never yet been built.

If the Trax had another 40 - 50 HP, they would say it needed another 20 -30 HP. and this thinking would continue until it could smoke a Vette or Wildcat, and some (like me) would still want more.

Besides, the first time the wife drove the Trax she was VERY impressed with the acceleration, so I just never mentioned to her that it is actually pretty slow. It is her car and she thinks it has great power and SHE is happy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I love power myself, believe me I have been driving fast cars since the 60's.

I just can't see it with the Trax or my Buick, it go's good for what it is, my point A to B in the snow and rain car.

I would tune it tomorrow because I still have my Diablo tuner from my Corvette.

I'm not taking the chance the dealer will want to step away from the car if something go's wrong with the engine or trans.(you know they will screw you if they can)

When the warranty is off, OK, now its time to tune

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Chevrolet Trax was designed to be a subcompact crossover SUV. This is a vehicle with a starting price of $21,000.00 for its base-model, has an MPG rating of (25 city/ 33 highway), with some cargo space, and an optional "all-wheel-drive" trim. You're basically looking at a sedan, with less cargo-space, a bit more ground-clearance, and slippery-weather capable.

I've never seen an ad comparing the Chevrolet Trax to a Corvette, or anything of the like, therefore the purpose of the Trax must be that of a compact utility vehicle...groceries, trip to the city, work...etc. I'm a "sedan" kind of person, but ever since the compact suv's rode into the picture I switched over...I LOVE COMPACT SUV'S!!!!! A regular crossover feels like a larger, higher-up station wagon, and a sports-car just isn't my thing.

I guess I'm driving a slow car...oh well! =)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes Beeguz, as soon as the warranty is done my Diablo will get more use also. They do have tunes available for the Trax.

Because the vehicle with enough power has never yet been built.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Trax is a lively drive. It reminds me of the light Asian imports of the 80's and 90's. I drive a Charger Hellcat and I got the Trax for my wife who fell in love with the little thing. And we got it exactly for the reasons you mention its a commuter car, IMO probably the best commuter car out there right now and I paid 14 489.00 Canadian dollars freight in... Its the absolute best value of any car on the market right now and we tried a bunch. Juke, Renegade, Soul, CX-3. HR-V. I told her to pick the one she wanted and she picked the Trax. She liked the look, the ride and how open the cabin is compared to the others.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Jobu, you mentioned you and your wife test-drove a few other options along with the Trax. How does the Renegade feel, I hope you can understand my question. How does it feel next to the Trax? Did you or you wife like the Renegade, and for what specific reasons? I apologize if it sounds like an interrogation, I just really think that vehicle is awesome, but many have been having issues with it and have been venting all over Jeep-Renegade forums. I'm just dying to know how you liked (if you did), or how your wife felt about it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Drove two Renegades. A sport FWD Turbo six speed and a 2.4 Autobox 75th. anniversary AWD. and these were one day test drive from my Chrysler dealer (when you get a Hellcat from them they treat you pretty **** good).

The Renegade has a lot of nice things going for it. First its a more powerful vehicle (with either engine), Its a much nicer designed interior... Italian couture is Italian couture... The AWD system in the Jeep (75th and Trailhawk) makes it a REAL off road machine. Sounds great with the Turbo. Resale value is very high if equipped right.

The negatives: Ride is much harsher, harder on gas in every day driving, Back seat is uncomfortable because of the almost 90 degree angle of the back rest, its ok for half hour but I would not want to be stuck back there for a road trip. But the two major obstacles to us choosing it was 1) the higher price. The same exactly Equipped vehicle as our Trax with end of year rebates was 2500 more and the interest rate was double (4.99 vs 2.49) and the absolutely brutal reliability record of the vehicle which coupled with about the worst warranty in the business was a deal breaker for us. We wanted a worry free experience and the Jeep is about the furthest thing from that, so a 3000 Dollars Platinum plan is a must and that still won't alleviate the many dealer visits we would make a Jeep owners. Now if someone is looking for a Mini CUV with real off road capability the Jeep is the best and only option out there but that's a Trailhawk. its 41k Canadian dollars (I can get 2.5 Trax LS for that money).

Truthfully when I sat down at the desk, there was a JD Powers satisfaction index chart on the desk, I grabbed it and looked at it. Chevrolet was in the top five and Chrysler was dead last. Common sense took over and we went with the Trax.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thank you for the reply Jobu, sounds like you guys picked the vehicle that best fit your wishlist. I'm curious though, was price one of the factors involved in eliminating both the CX-3 and HR-V from your list? I hear those two in particular are incredible choices as well, how did you like the HR-V, I'm specifically interested in input on that model.

·
Registered
137 Posts
CX-3 was really cramped inside, tiny trunk. Love the styling and the engine is one of the all time greats but the wife just got out of an Astra Coupe and there is no way we were making that mistake again. Never bothered with the HR-V. Looked like a stretched Honda Fit to us. There was zero interest in the Honda appliance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lol..."Honda appliance", I know what you mean. I myself just can't get around to even walking in the dealerships more or less considering one of their units in a serious way. You're reasoning behind the rejection for the CX-3 sort-of surprised me, as I would've assumed that vehicle had a more space-friendly interior than the Trax.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The CX3 is very small, I did consider a CX3 but after looking closely at them CX5 was more Trax like in size.

Part of the reason I bought the Trax and the Encore was the fuel mileage, to get the Trax like mileage in the Mazda you had to buy the CX3.

To get the hauling capacity you need to buy the CX5, but then you loose the fuel mileage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's why the Automotive press, can't figure out why the GM duo is so popular. Its the package that is attractive. Kind of a modern version of the magic wagon (Kcar mini-van). They can't grasp it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
beeguz I just checked-out the CX-5, that thing is pricey! I see what you mean, MPG vs hauling capacity...why sacrifice either when you can get both at a few thousand-dollars less!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jobu, exactly...you should see how popular the Trax became in my area! There is one Trax for every two vehicles on the street. Most are LS's and LT's, I've seen a few LTZ's but not as many as the other two.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Jobu, exactly...you should see how popular the Trax became in my area! There is one Trax for every two vehicles on the street. Most are LS's and LT's, I've seen a few LTZ's but not as many as the other two.
It's too bad that even with how early Chevy got in on the Trax and the segment it sits in that they are still falling behind but at least this time around they have a better lead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know right James. This may have something to do with the fact Chevy didn't market the Trax much back when it was introduced in the American market in the fall of 2014. I remember I found out about the arrival through one of yahoo's articles online, and never once saw a commercial introducing the model to the public! Even now, I see very little from Chevy advertising the old 2016 Trax, and nothing of its 2017 upgraded version...which brings me to my question:

Has anyone seen commercials promoting the 2017 Chevy Trax? If you have, did you see any advertising the 2015 or the 2016 models earlier. I've just seen a couple, very quick takes on the other vehicles plus the Trax for the 2016 year. I just feel the Trax should have been promoted properly just to see if it would gain any following.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I never saw anything about the Trax here simply because I don't watch commercial TV, I saw them at my local dealer.

When I bought my Trax there were not many around here, now you can't drive down the road without seeing a handful of them.

I had the only bright red Trax in the area, it had to be brought in from King of Prussia, shortly after I stopped by my dealer he had 2 in stock one was the model with 18" wheels and wide tires.

I really love the look of the Trax with wide tires, if I still have my Buick when the tires wear out I am going to use wide tires I might lift it a little just enough to use the big rubber.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts