Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted them to ask and they responded:

We haven't tested any of our parts on any year of the Trax unfortunately. I know the motors are similar/the same, but I am unsure of clearance with our intake or the K&N one. :(

Thank you for your business,

Ryan Derrick
1477946563825_zzp

I might bite the bullet and get one try IG out I'll keep yall informed

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Why again would you want to do this on a Trax Turbo? Did you just want more engine intake noise?

·
Registered
772 Posts
GM does research to get the most out of an intake systems, someone bends a few large diameter pipes around stuff in the way to fit under the hood, then charges you a few hundred for it.

I guess you have to love the sound of air being sucked into the engine, in my case the sound of a 3- 2 barrel carbs sucking air into my Pontiac engines at the drag strip, was the sound that I liked

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Especially that the Trax uses the same filter my V8 Silverado used so flow should not be a problem. It's a large air filter for a 1.4l that turns 2000 rpm the majority of the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly in my opinion it's just for looks the black plastic looks boring and plain, and second if it gives it a noise cool it's my wifes vehicle

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's going to give it a throaty sound, not sure she's going to like it, she will get sick of it real quick. As for looks you and you're mechanic are the only people that are going to see it. No way is this an improvement over stock. Plus you are going to lose the water separator built into the OEM intake snorkel. Doesn't take a lot of water to lock or punch a piston. You can't compress water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most likely, not sure how the stock ecu is on the trax yet, it will compensate around any differences the intake makes and not make a single extra horsepower.

To me, the only bad thing about the trax's performance from driving it so far, the transmission shifts too slowly to stay in boost between gears, leaving it to die off in acceleration when it shifts, then come back in (feels bad honestly). It doesn't feel good or satisfying to floor it, it feels faster if you don't floor it in fact.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmmm try using Trifecta Tune i enjoy it quite well shifts better and nice gains on horsepower too. I used it on the cruze i had too worked well there too. Either way the ECU won't compensate for the new intake it would have to be programmed in to the ECU that you have an intake kit.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Either way the ECU won't compensate for the new intake it would have to be programmed in to the ECU that you have an intake kit.
Actually the ECM should compensate that's what the MAF and the MAP sensors are for to detect airflow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I contacted them to ask and they responded:

We haven't tested any of our parts on any year of the Trax unfortunately. I know the motors are similar/the same, but I am unsure of clearance with our intake or the K&N one. :(

Thank you for your business,

Ryan Derrick
1477946563825_zzp

I might bite the bullet and get one try IG out I'll keep yall informed
Tons of misinformation regarding cold air intake; also, probably isn't realistic to claim that manufacturers like GM engineer the BEST equipment for the application! That one had me rolling :)

Colder air means the oxygen entering the engine is more dense; the hot air (which is less dense) created inside the combustion chamber is displaced by cooler air - meaning that more cold air can be cycled through the engine than hot air. With CAI units, the tube diameter is often larger, and many are tapered to reduce diameter at the manifold. Restriction to flow creates pressure, so when air travels through the tube toward the intake manifold, the taper increases air velocity (pressure). This essentially means that air is being forced into your engine, right at the tapered point where it's connected to the manifold, increasing it's velocity (same concept as artificial aspiration/forced induction - turbo/superchargers).

Lastly, air filter element material and location come into play. Removal of the stock airbox, and placement of the CAI filter further away from the engine, help to dissipate heat. Most performance intake's incorporate heat shields as well. This is where "cold air intake" get it's name. Less restrictive filter material also helps to increase air velocity.

More air + colder air + less restriction + increased air velocity + less heat = better engine performance. Better engine performance = increased horsepower/MPG. Aftermarket manufacturers dyno vehicles when testing their equipment, so research shows that indeed, CAI increases engine performance.

I increased HP/torque by about 40 using the Trifecta tune, which is not compatible for use with aftermarket exhaust and intake systems, so I wouldn't be able to install a CAI on my Trax even if it was available. But I'm certain that you could buy a performance intake for a 1.4 EcoTec turbo and reroute some vacuum lines, wiring, accessory components, etc, and make a CAI for a Cruze work with the Trax.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
GMtec I have a question for you. You have warm humid air being pushed by the turbo, where does the condensed water from the inter-cooler go? There's no water trap after the cooler...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is there a drain on the intercooler itself? Theoretically it would be the lowest point of the engine, right?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nope

1 - 13 of 13 Posts