Temperature control issue - Chevy Trax Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Traxy
  • 1 Post By Traxy

post #1 of 10 Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Temperature control issue

So recently the temperature control dial stopped working on my 2016 Trax and it was always blowing heat. I took the glove box out and tore apart under the dash on the passenger side to gain access to the gears attached to the control that blends the hot/cold air. I manually rotated the gear so that cold air would blow. I had ordered a service manual from Quality Service Manuals online. Of course the drawings don't match or provide any additional insight. I've attached two pictures. One zoomed out where you can see the plastic gear I rotated on the left. One zoomed in. I was originally thinking I'd be able to replace the controller attached to the gear, but I can't find a part number anywhere online for anything other than the gear itself. In theory the issue could be electronic in the dial itself or the controller on the cam. I'd just replace the less expensive controller to start if there was no easy way to troubleshoot further.

Has anyone else come across this issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trax gear under dash.jpg (104.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Trax gear zoom.jpg (223.0 KB, 5 views)
post #2 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
This maybe!

GM#95476706 Cable Asm-Temperature Control

#21 in the diagram

Maximum cold

Maximum hot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Last edited by Traxy; 07-16-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
Please come back and tell us if this was any help, just so others know.

mackman likes this.

Last edited by Traxy; 07-18-2019 at 08:49 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Yes i had the same problem where the temp control cable broke on me luckily it was still under warranty.Thanks Traxy i will keep that part in my list anyway.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This looks to be exactly what I need. Thank you for your help. I ordered the part this evening.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 PM

This will only go in one way, the big cog has to line up with the big gap in the outside gear. Let us know if you've had any problems with the install.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-03-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The project ended up taking longer than it should have. I ordered the part, and then almost a week later they canceled the order and said they couldn't get the part. Ordered from a second place and had no issues with delivery, outside of this one being more expensive. Once I had it torn apart and compared the original cable with the new one, it was obvious what the problem is. Somehow the small cable that drives the actuator had come out of the plastic channel. I actually had the original one more or less fixed and working, but there was a bit of slop in the cable so I just replaced it. I'm still not sure how it could jump out of the channel given how hard it was to get it back in. Everything buttoned up and working now. Thanks again for your help.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-03-2019, 08:46 PM

A lot of the time this happens in winter when people try to actuate these before hot air has had a chance to thaw the frozen trap doors or flaps. Applying too much force will either snap the cable or stretch it. Did you take any pictures???

post #9 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxy View Post
A lot of the time this happens in winter when people try to actuate these before hot air has had a chance to thaw the frozen trap doors or flaps. Applying too much force will either snap the cable or stretch it. Did you take any pictures???
I did not think of getting a picture, but it was basically two "loops" of cable on the backside of the dial hanging there. We had a brutal winter in Iowa this year, and this was my daughter's vehicle that sat outside the garage and experienced the brunt of the cold temps. That is definitely consistent with your theory.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 07:41 AM

Doesn't it feel good to save yourself a trip to the dealer. So self gratifying and a lot cheaper. How long did it take you and how long do you think it would take if you had to redo it today? How old is your daughter? I bought a 2016 Encore for my oldest for her graduation from University (Pearl white over silver with saddle leather interior ). She's since married and her husband takes pretty good care of it. Girls tend to neglect vehicles. He regularly details the interior and recently clay barred it. Except for a few rock chips and curb rash on one rim it still looks pretty good.
63dart likes this.

Last edited by Traxy; 08-04-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in