Chevy Trax Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
My A/C is blowing hot periodically. And I mean hot I have to roll the window down when it is 100+ outside to get cooler air.
The dealer said everything is normal. Ugh this dealer is a joke.
Hi Buffalo,

I regret to hear about this air conditioning concern you're experiencing as I understand how inconvenient this is during the warm summer weather. I cannot guarantee a different outcome, however, I'd be happy to locate a different dealership and assist in setting up an appointment for a second opinion. If you're interested, please send us a private message.

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a Chevy Trax 2016. We do have the same problem with the air conditioner. Now that summer is here we started using it but all it do is blow hot air in our faces. I am going to take it in tomorrow Monday see what the dealer says. It's a brand spankin new vehicle, it should blow cold air.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I we have a 16 Chevy Trax and we have the very same problem. It is fustrating to be driving down the street in 90-100 degrees and getting hot air blown in your face.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have a Chevy Trax 2016. We do have the same problem with the air conditioner. Now that summer is here we started using it but all it do is blow hot air in our faces. I am going to take it in tomorrow Monday see what the dealer says. It's a brand spankin new vehicle, it should blow cold air.
Hi gustdiaz76,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this air conditioning concern with your Trax. Please keep us updated on how it goes at the dealership today and let us know if we can be of any additional assistance in the meantime.

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please have the dealership look up tech bulletin #16-NA-034. It seems to be working in my case. Phoenix valley 112-118 degrees !!!!!
They will take some refrigerant out of the system - IT works !!!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Please have the dealership look up tech bulletin #16-NA-034. It seems to be working in my case. Phoenix valley 112-118 degrees !!!!!
They will take some refrigerant out of the system - IT works !!!!
Makes sense,a little bit too much freon will cause it to blow hot, its as bad as low freon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another horror story today... First time using A/C, since being dismissed by the dealer.

What's normally a 15-20 minute trip from Brooklyn Bridge, up the west side Hwy, to George Washington Bridge...

Turned into an hour and a half, due to traffic, with hot air blowing at me. Worked for 5 minutes till I hit traffic. As soon as I crossed the GWB, and started moving, it worked.

Are these the same units in their other models?

·
Registered
772 Posts
AC units all have the same parts, they change the sizes of the parts to fit the cars.

Without having a set of AC gauges on the car its tough to tell what the **** is going on, it could be the condenser or the evaporator is too small to cool the car, any number of problems.

I have seen cars in the 90's shipped without an orifice tube in the AC line, the car would cool down to 60 but no further

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FJC-3006-GM-Orifice-Tube-Blue/51253615?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=202&adid=22222222227039151027&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=85371568370&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=193325810450&veh=sem

I found the orifice tube was never installed, the only reason I looked at it was I feared it was blocked, when I took it apart there was no orifice tube in the car.
It was a low mile car that belonged to my neighbor, the car was never hit or in for repairs, she said the AC never quite cooled like other cars they had.

I'm only guessing on this, its hard to diagnose this stuff without seeing it happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read that these & most modern vehicles automatically shut off the AC's compressor if the engine, oil, transmission, or antifreeze/coolant gets too hot, to prevent damage, or prevent an antifreeze/coolant boil over.

It happens to my sister's truck every time it gets near 90F in slow heavy traffic.

If that's the case with these, the solution would be to put a bigger condenser & radiator in them. But I bet the dealers don't want to do that unless you're willing to pay them a lot for it.

You guys in Phoenix are getting some record breaking temps - - wow. I don't know how you deal with it, & it's gotta be hard on vehicles or machinery too. Maybe you're just used to it, just like us folks get used below zero F in winter. Once it gets above 40F most of us don't bother putting on a coat. By 55F we're ready to go out in shorts & a T-shirt. Most of us would be miserable or die if it got over 90F too long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Beeguz... One would hope they'd have noticed something missing, unless they just didn't investigate. Brand new car... Shouldn't have to run to Walmart for missing parts, or settle for shutting down passenger, etc...

Paid for a car, with an adequate air conditioner, This is "obviously inadequate".

Chevrolet Customer care... If I provide a VIN, could you possibly check to see if there was a specific reason, this vehicle was "swapped". Grand Prize, in Nanuet, NY, was still peeling the sticker, from a new Jersey dealer, when we were shown the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm happy to report... After popping in Saturday, while problem persisted, a dedicated mechanic (Mike) drove with me. Verifying the condition.

My dealer persisted, along with TAC (I believe that's the acronym - "techie's"), and they believe my problem is resolved. Their thinking was that moisture got into the system, displacing Freon. Thus disrupting the proper operation.

Resolution involved evacuating the system. Boiling the moisture out, by means of placing a vacuum on the lines, for over an hour. Don't completely understand... but hopefully. So far so Good!! Will update.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The freon used may have been contaminated, when you evac the system you start from scratch.

I'm happy the problem has been addressed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hope that evacuating the system solves this for you.
BUT if it does, then I would be worried about damage that the moisture in the system may have caused that will show up later on as a failed compressor. If there was moisture in the system that means that it was never evacuated properly at the factory before filling, or someone opened up the system and never evacuated it before filling.

The way it works is that when you increase pressure you raise the boiling point of water. That is why there is a pressure cap on your radiator. To raise the pressure so that the coolant boils at a higher temperature. The same happens when you lower the pressure, the boiling point will also drop. If the vacuum is brought down to only 15,000 microns, (this is not hard to get) any water in the system will boil at 64°F, once the water boils into vapor then the vacuum pump can pull it out of the system. At the factory where I work we pull all systems down to under 500 microns which gives a boiling point of water of about -10°F and it is held overnight just to be sure the system is empty. ANY time a system is opened to atmosphere for any reason, no mater how short of time, it must be evacuated to get all of the air and water/humidity out of the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you advise what dealership you used? My 2016 Chevy Trax was purchased 6/11/16 and is having intermittent AC issues. The "snowflake" button light will go out and then the AC starts blowing hot air. This seems to happen on hot days. The dealership is not able to duplicate the issue. I have been able to capture video of the "snowflake" button not lighting after being pressed. I live on the East Coast and the dealership can not seem to find anyone else with a similar issue on the East Coast. They will be calling out West today so see about similar issues. They have completed the 16-NA-034 bulletin and it did not fix the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A/C barely works

My 2016 Chevy Trax has this same issue in the Pittsburgh Area on any day above 85 degrees. Of course the dealership could not replicate the issue on site. How can I force them to try to fix it? I have a 6 month old whom has been miserable in the back seat drenched in sweat because the A/C has not worked 2/3 of the times its been hot this summer.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My 2016 Chevy Trax has this same issue in the Pittsburgh Area on any day above 85 degrees. Of course the dealership could not replicate the issue on site. How can I force them to try to fix it? I have a 6 month old whom has been miserable in the back seat drenched in sweat because the A/C has not worked 2/3 of the times its been hot this summer.

You need to take the car in have them recharge the AC, some here have had problems with contaminated freon.

The problem was excess moisture in the freon also there was a TSB about not filling the AC to capacity saying the systems were over full.

An over full system will act like a system that is low on freon on very hot days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Add mine to this growing list :(. We're in Texas (Hot, Hot) so we can't drive it during the day. Contacted the dealership last Tuesday and was told to bring it in the next day, the next day no one at dealership knew about the appointment (even though we had a confirmation number :mad:) and had to make another appointment for Thursday of this week. So it just sits there till the sun goes down.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts